art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): uausnaughbroo,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 09:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Pfft! Our temperature scale is more proper than yours!
Only in the non-Scientific part of the US. Which, with the way Trump is going will soon be all of it...and even then, who knows. Someone will probably say to him, "that's the system that Obama uses" and then you'll have a new system of measurement. Probably the Freedom Scale or something.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:50 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
Only in the non-Scientific part of the US. Which, with the way Trump is going will soon be all of it...and even then, who knows. Someone will probably say to him, "that's the system that Obama uses" and then you'll have a new system of measurement. Probably the Freedom Scale or something.
It'll be the Trump Scale. From Bigly White to Braggadocsiously Orange. White for cold, orange for hot, and whatever in between.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
It'll be the Trump Scale. From Bigly White to Braggadocsiously Orange. White for cold, orange for hot, and whatever in between.
Why ever would you need more than two marks, anyway? I don't think Trump would endorse your "whatever" suggestion; it seems far too much like liberal multiculturalism.
Make temperature great again!
Old 02-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

La Pen Refuses To Cover Up

Call me a cynic but does anyone else think this sounds 100% like a BS manufactured story to garner support during the French election? I mean, seriously, the Far Right candidate who hates Muslims indignantly refuses to cover up and cancels a meeting with a Mufti as a result? Better have Wellies on for that level of BS...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-22-2017, 04:49 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhat tangential, and while relatively close, still far too far away for us to ever reach with present technology, nonetheless, this might eventually be usefully proximate for colonization once we finish murdering (or at least rendering completely inhabitable) our own planet.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39034050
Old 02-23-2017, 09:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Really cool news! I love Google's animation in honour of the discovery.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 02-23-2017, 11:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Somewhat tangential, and while relatively close, still far too far away for us to ever reach with present technology, nonetheless, this might eventually be usefully proximate for colonization once we finish murdering (or at least rendering completely inhabitable) our own planet.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39034050
Its only 120 days away...at Warp 5.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 02-23-2017, 11:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Its only 120 days away...at Warp 5.
Gives an idea of the scale of the universe: it is very close to us, yet still four months travel time. Plus waiting to get your luggage, which went off in another direction*.

* Why didn't that ever happen to anyone in Star Trek, I wonder? I can't believe someone managed to solve that problem.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
* Why didn't that ever happen to anyone in Star Trek, I wonder? I can't believe someone managed to solve that problem.
Indeed- some problems can not be solved, only accepted.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

For reference, I used the classic TOS warp scale, not the TNG scale or the JJ Abrams "Everything is 5 min away at maximum warp" scale...

Old 02-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For reference, I used the classic TOS warp scale, not the TNG scale or the JJ Abrams "Everything is 5 min away at maximum warp" scale...
And half the galaxy is within Transporter range. It's good news though. With what's currently going on here, leaving this rock sounds like a good idea.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
And half the galaxy is within Transporter range. It's good news though. With what's currently going on here, leaving this rock sounds like a good idea.
Abrams has really destroyed Star Trek with his idiocy. Vulcan is 60 seconds away, the Klingon neutral zone is like 30 min away, you can transport from Earth to Qo'noS (Klingon home world) instantaneously with something you can carry around in a duffle bag, etc etc. And that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to plot gaps and stupidity...I don't even want to bring up giving a cadet command of a starship after 5 min. The first movie, at best, should have ended with Kirk maybe as 1st Officer to Pike but in reality as just a real officer. Also, having him in the Academy with people that were either way older than him in TOS (McCoy) or people that were significantly younger than him (Chekov, Uhura) was idiotic too...no matter how changed the timeline was.

I mean, seriously JJ? How are you this stupid? Also, he did the same thing with the Star Wars movie where people in one system could see the "hyperspace laser" that destroyed multiple planets in another system...and was fired from a 3rd system.

Its just such lazy writing on his part.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:56 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I mean, seriously JJ? How are you this stupid? Also, he did the same thing with the Star Wars movie where people in one system could see the "hyperspace laser" that destroyed multiple planets in another system...and was fired from a 3rd system.

Its just such lazy writing on his part.
He obviously benefited quite a bit simply from the comparison to how awful the previous three Star Wars had been, and while significantly better than the mockery that Lucas made of those prequels, it was very hard to overlook the laziness of just how similar Abrams movie was to A New Hope. He just seems to suffer from the same malady that plagues so many movies - thinking that quality action and special effects is an adequate substitution for quality writing and plotting.

As an aside, it's beginning to look like the North Korean problem might either get significantly better, or significantly worse, in the near future, as Kim Jong-Un's decision to whack his brother really seems to have pissed off China.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39067908

This situation, along with just about everything else, does make one wish that we had a slightly less erratic, and slightly more thoughtful, administration in place.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
...I don't even want to bring up giving a cadet command of a starship after 5 min.
I won't name names, but I could imagine a current president of the USA doing such a thing too.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Apparently the White House is now barring certain news agencies like the NYT and CNN from their press briefings.

Silence the critics. Alternative facts. "Reality Control" for real. This is scary stuff.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Youngling

connabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really nice

On the topic of RIP America, apparently the WH has blocked press sources such as CNN, NYT, LAT, POLITICO, BuzzFeed, and BBC from attending the WH briefing

Time and AP are boycotting this

And also Breitbart, OANN, Washington Times, NBC and ABC are attending.

rip america indeed
Old 02-24-2017, 04:58 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by connabard View Post
On the topic of RIP America, apparently the WH has blocked press sources such as CNN, NYT, LAT, POLITICO, BuzzFeed, and BBC from attending the WH briefing

Time and AP are boycotting this

And also Breitbart, OANN, Washington Times, NBC and ABC are attending.

rip america indeed
Hopefully this backfires, but I'm not confident that it will. This is a similar list to the group that he blacklisted from his campaign.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/14/medi...dia-blacklist/

The pre-eminent name from that list (back in June) was the Washington Post. It is somewhat odd that the Post is not included in this recent ban, which honestly would be insulting now for the Post, as he has banned essentially all the most prestigious and trusted (by the Left) outlets, highlighted by the NYT and BBC. But the right all but unanimously hates and disregards all the names that he is listing. This is not just a Trump thing. Not just an alt-right thing. This is a long-standing trend on the right, going back to the rise of Fox, and of cable news in general. This is extremely dangerous for the country (as attacking and undermining independent media is how despots like Putin and Erdogan realize their tyranny, and seemingly exactly why so many on the right praise and love them), but it might not hurt him with any republican voters. The unfortunate truth is that so many republicans agree with Trump's assertion that the media is the enemy, and since so many of them only get their news from places like Breitbart, Facebook, and Fox, real news does seem like a lie to them by contrast.

It is also somewhat surprising that I see nothing of this currently on BBC's website, nor anything on this currently on CNN or MSNBC.

Addendum:
Nevermind, CNN (Blitzer) is talking about it right now.

Last edited by Kimon; 02-24-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:45 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...ce1GM.facebook

Will the Democrats choose a Jew-hating extremist and doom any near-future success, or will they choose someone more moderate and less hypocritical?
Old 02-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post

Will the Democrats choose a Jew-hating extremist and doom any near-future success, or will they choose someone more moderate and less hypocritical?
I'm not going to pretend to like either Ellison or Dershowitz. Nor do I think that Ellison should be the DNC Chair, which shouldn't be surprising considering that I don't like Bernie either. But keep in mind, Bernie is Jewish. Mind you that alone isn't enough to indicate that Ellison isn't an anti-semite, any more than Kushner's presence in Trump's circle does for Trump, but let's keep some perspective about Dershowitz, because what this is mostly about is Dershowitz' hostility to one matter of growing dem policy that encompasses not only Bernie and Ellison, but also John Kerry and Barack Obama - this is about Israel, not America.

This is what Dershowitz said about Obama after the president made a (almost entirely symbolic) stand against the illegality of the Israeli Settlements in the West Bank.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...ents_ever.html

No one on the left will miss Dershowitz if he defects to the republicans, as we already consider him and Joe Lieberman to be republicans.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post

The Far Right's love of the Jewish people is well noted...especially by Steve Bannon, the actual neo nazi who is the closest advisor to the current President.

Jackass.

Closed Thread