art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:44 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Perez won the DNC Chair race, but the vote was close, indeed quite reminiscent to the primary battle between Clinton (Perez was Obama's Labor Sec.) & Bernie (Ellison was one of the few in Congress that backed Bernie).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39093428

Quote:
Mr Perez defeated Keith Ellison, a US representative from Minnesota, in a 235-200 second round vote.
Still haven't the slightest clue (maybe Gillibrand or Booker) who the party is likely to turn to for 2020. Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren will both be quite old. Hopefully Bernie doesn't make the mistake of trying to run again. Hillary is obviously done.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Perez won the DNC Chair race, but the vote was close, indeed quite reminiscent to the primary battle between Clinton (Perez was Obama's Labor Sec.) & Bernie (Ellison was one of the few in Congress that backed Bernie).

Still haven't the slightest clue (maybe Gillibrand or Booker) who the party is likely to turn to for 2020. Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren will both be quite old. Hopefully Bernie doesn't make the mistake of trying to run again. Hillary is obviously done.
I'd guess that Booker is the best choice right now...Gillibrand wouldn't be a bad VP though.

Biden, Bernie and Hillary are all too old. They should assume the role of elder statesmen and stay above the fray and focus on fundraising for the DNC.

I'd imagine people like Cuomo and Kamala Harris will probably try to run too...Sherrod Brown too for that matter.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-26-2017, 03:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Trump will run for the Democrats if the Republicans don't want him any more by then. Wouldn't that be fun?
Old 02-26-2017, 11:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Maybe Trump will run for the Democrats if the Republicans don't want him any more by then. Wouldn't that be fun?
I'd pay to see that.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
I'd pay to see that.
He's a good entrepeneur, isn't he?
Old 02-27-2017, 03:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

tworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to tworiverswoman

There's a post going around on Facebook (some of you have reposted it) talking about how Trump has actually gone and made America great again ... by listing all the ways people are getting involved in politics now (to the detriment of Trump, let us add). I have to admit I'm one of those people. I've always stayed mostly non-political, wth a slight bent toward the left but mostly just "leave me alone and let me get on with my life."

Boy, did that attitude go out the window when number 45 came in. It's amazing how well infomed I think I now am, compared to the last mumble-mumble years of my life. But the question I have to ask is, how do you know - and I mean REALLY know, not just trust - which side is telling lies when both sides are pointing fingers at the other side. This is important, as my neighbor and I, who have been close friends for something like 30 years, have had to promise to NOT talk politics for the next 4 years in order to stay friends.

Some of it is really obvious. Number 45 seems to tell some kind of stupid (I mean, REALLY stupid) lie nearly every time he opens his mouth. And usually about unbelievably dumb things that are easily checkable (and also completely irrelevant). "I had the largest Electoral College win since Roosevelt." "Crime is the highest it's been in 47 years." "Obama let ANYONE in the country, with no vetting whatever." (that last not a direct quote but a combination of various statements)... all of which fall apart with the simplest of searches. And I'm smart enough to look for multiple sources - not just go to Wikipedia and think I'm done.

My neighbor has 100% faith in FOX news. He trusts them completely and really hates trying to watch any other news channel - especially CNN for some reason. It is clear to me, though, that FOX is a single voice in a wilderness of news outlets from all over the world. It's not like you have half the news outlets leaning left, and half leaning right, and have to pretty much GUESS who's feeding you tailored data. How is it, then, that my neighbor, who I would like to believe is an intelligent man, can't see the statistical UNlikelihood that his one lonely channel, out of so MANY others, is giving him the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the Truth, so help me BIWIDNB? I trusted Huntley and Brinkley, Cronkite and some others, because they almost never gave their audiences a clue about their own personal opinions on the news reports they read. I believed I was getting the news as it was and any editorializing was saved for later. Nowadays I feel like I get less news and more "this is what you should think about this news." That bothers me.

Lately I've been reading a bunch of articles and watching lots of YouTube videos about this first 100 days of the new administration, and then I usually read a few hundred of the comments underneath. The level of CAPSLOCK VITRIOL by the Trump supporters - the sheer contempt with which they post their disdain for the "snowflakes" just appalls me. The anti-Trump voices aren't always all that polite, either, but the ratio of rational discourse (albeit discourse about the end of all things good and right in America...) vs. the sneering condescension from the opposition sometimes scares me. They (Trump-supporters) have swallowed this "Fake News" codswallop in its entirety - applying it to anything even vaguely negative about Trump, and have thereby simply written off the entire non-FOX universe of news reporting.

Fake News is a real thing, Trumpsters - but it's not perpetuated by real news organizations that have decades of history behind them, though they might sometimes fall victim of it - especially if they feel rushed for some reason. Fake News has been around since the dawn of Tabloids, at a minimum ("Bigfoot seen with Elvis at local Burger King!") - but the internet gave them a real fertile stomping ground, by the magic of the Echo Chamber effect.

I worry when I read articles about how people learn to believe something, and then keep ON believing that something, even when they are shown that the thing that gave them their belief was false. Some scientific experiments that gave their test groups deliberately falsified data then, after collecting reaction data, EXPLAINED that the original data was false and discovered that the test group just went right on believing the original information.

Argh.
"once I'm naked, i can't get any cooler!" - Camel

Back in my day Pluto was a planet!
Old 02-27-2017, 10:35 AM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
The Far Right's love of the Jewish people is well noted...especially by Steve Bannon, the actual neo nazi who is the closest advisor to the current President.

Jackass.
Don't forget Steven Miller, the other Steve in the cabinet, who was mentored by Richard Spencer while both attended Duke.

Like I needed more reasons to hate Duke.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 02-27-2017, 10:37 AM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post

Learning from Hillary's mistake, though, instead of selecting an anodyne establishment vice chair, Perez tapped Ellison to fill the role.

But I have complete faith in the Bernie-Bros to figure out a way to hamstring the DNC going forward.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 02-27-2017, 10:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
Learning from Hillary's mistake, though, instead of selecting an anodyne establishment vice chair, Perez tapped Ellison to fill the role.

But I have complete faith in the Bernie-Bros to figure out a way to hamstring the DNC going forward.
The stupid thing here is that both Perez and Ellison are strong progressives and are very good friends in real life so the whole "Hillary wing vs Bernie wing" was vastly overblown. They're basically the same person when it comes to political stances.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 02-27-2017, 11:21 AM
Ancient

Quote:
The stupid thing here is that both Perez and Ellison are strong progressives and are very good friends in real life so the whole "Hillary wing vs Bernie wing" was vastly overblown. They're basically the same person when it comes to political stances.
The difference in policy and voting between Bernie and Hillary would have been difficult to slide sheet of paper through, but that didn't stop the Bernie Bros from voting Jill Stein or Gary Johnson in protest.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

Trump announces that he plans to increase Defense spending by $54 Billion (i.e. 10% increase) and pay for it by cutting the budgets of all the other Dept to cover that money. Note, all of the other Dept combined just barely equal Defense when it comes to budgeting. So its a MASSIVE cut to all those other things the gov't does that don't fall under "Using $5 million missile from $20 million drone to kill iron-age cave dwellers who cant even shoot back".

So, if you care about good roads, schools, national parks, social security, VA benefits for veterans, housing assistance and all the other "Butter" thats in the budget, you're shit out of luck since the "Guns" will be taking precedence.

Hell, it worked for the Soviets in the 1980s, I'm sure it'll turn out just as well for us now too.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

The Roman legions build many roads. Maybe the US Army could do the same? That'd be really conservative, after all.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:01 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Trump announces that he plans to increase Defense spending by $54 Billion (i.e. 10% increase) and pay for it by cutting the budgets of all the other Dept to cover that money. Note, all of the other Dept combined just barely equal Defense when it comes to budgeting. So its a MASSIVE cut to all those other things the gov't does that don't fall under "Using $5 million missile from $20 million drone to kill iron-age cave dwellers who cant even shoot back".

So, if you care about good roads, schools, national parks, social security, VA benefits for veterans, housing assistance and all the other "Butter" thats in the budget, you're shit out of luck since the "Guns" will be taking precedence.

Hell, it worked for the Soviets in the 1980s, I'm sure it'll turn out just as well for us now too.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39108194

Quote:
US President Donald Trump is seeking to boost defence spending by 10% in his proposed budget plan for 2018.
The blueprint will increase defence spending by $54bn (43bn) but seeks to recoup that sum through deep cuts elsewhere, including to foreign aid.
Mr Trump's plan leaves large welfare programmes untouched, despite Republican calls for reform.
If he doesn't go after welfare to cover that 54 billion, unclear where it will come from, but obviously not foreign aid...

Quote:
If he wants to boost the defence budget by $54bn without adding to the deficit, that money will have to come from somewhere - and mandatory spending on welfare and debt interest takes nearly 70% of the budget off the table.
Early reports are that the Environmental Protection Agency is facing sharp cuts, but its total annual budget is just over $8bn - a drop in the bucket.
The State Department has also been singled out as a source for the needed funds, and its $50bn annually (including $22bn in direct aid) makes it a fatter target.
The lion's share of humanitarian assistance goes to rebuilding efforts in Afghanistan and Aids treatment in Sub-Saharan Africa, however, which will be difficult to touch. Also unlikely to get the axe is military support, dominated by $3.1bn annually to Israel.
So, probably a combination of running up huge debts (pretty typical of every republican administration) and gutting the state department. I also wonder if he intends perhaps to hide the cost of his wall in this huge defense department spending increase. That $54 billion is probably about what the wall would cost. I've always wished we could just hide infrastructure spending in the defense budget so that we were at least spending most of that military budget on things that actually were worthwhile, of course, I was wishing for roads, bridges, dams, high speed rail, updating energy grids - i.e. things we actually need.

At least the Younger Bush came out publicly against Trump's attempts to undermine the press.

And Issa of all people is calling for a special prosecutor. Or maybe not...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gop-rep-...al-prosecutor/

Last edited by Kimon; 02-27-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:28 PM
Ancient

Quote:

We'll be in a ground conflict within 10 months.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
We'll be in a ground conflict within 10 months.
I'd say 6 at the outside...whether its to fight Russia's war in Syria or invading Iran (probably the most idiotically stupid thing we could ever do), it's coming.

There was a lower chance of a major war in Europe in July 1914 than there is for America right now.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworiverswoman View Post
There's a post going around on Facebook (some of you have reposted it) talking about how Trump has actually gone and made America great again ... by listing all the ways people are getting involved in politics now (to the detriment of Trump, let us add). I have to admit I'm one of those people. I've always stayed mostly non-political, wth a slight bent toward the left but mostly just "leave me alone and let me get on with my life."
I remember when you leaned more to the right than to the left. Of course, I did too at the time. I veered to the left some time during W's second term.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I remember when you leaned more to the right than to the left. Of course, I did too at the time. I veered to the left some time during W's second term.
I think that was the start for a lot of us...Granted, I was not a big Obama fan when he was a candidate at first.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think that was the start for a lot of us...Granted, I was not a big Obama fan when he was a candidate at first.
I remember when you switched - as soon as Palin was announced as McCain's running mate. You said something like: *sigh* "Go Obama."

I liked Obama before the primary season began and I remember trying to convince Callandor that Edwards was actually a shit candidate.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

On another subject, does anyone know of a website that is compiling all of the Russia connections in the Trump administration and campaign? They're starting to get really hard to keep track of. This shit needs a goddamn cross-referenced database.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I remember when you switched - as soon as Palin was announced as McCain's running mate. You said something like: *sigh* "Go Obama."

I liked Obama before the primary season began and I remember trying to convince Callandor that Edwards was actually a shit candidate.
Yup...pretty much. I started drifting towards the center during Bush 2 but Palin was the last straw and a wakeup call of "What the hell am I supporting here?!?"

Closed Thread