art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 10:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
On another subject, does anyone know of a website that is compiling all of the Russia connections in the Trump administration and campaign? They're starting to get really hard to keep track of. This shit needs a goddamn cross-referenced database.
Yeah, we seriously need a web diagram.

Maybe they'll make a pretty one during the inevitable impeachment hearings.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-28-2017, 10:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Yeah, we seriously need a web diagram.

Maybe they'll make a pretty one during the inevitable impeachment hearings.
That really is inevitable at this point. I kind of had that thought as soon as Trump won but 1) wasn't sure if my own bias was at work, and 2) had no idea how fast and hard this shit would drop. Republicans like McCain and Graham are basically looking for any excuse to impeach at this point, and Trump is the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

But they'll also need to get at least some Democrat senators on board. What are the chances of such a bipartisan effort coming off the ground?
Old 02-28-2017, 12:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
That really is inevitable at this point. I kind of had that thought as soon as Trump won but 1) wasn't sure if my own bias was at work, and 2) had no idea how fast and hard this shit would drop. Republicans like McCain and Graham are basically looking for any excuse to impeach at this point, and Trump is the gift that keeps on giving.
They almost have to jettison him at some point well before 2020 if they want to keep the White House.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 02-28-2017, 06:18 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
But they'll also need to get at least some Democrat senators on board. What are the chances of such a bipartisan effort coming off the ground?
Most dems would likely rather run against Trump than against Pence. The issue though isn't getting dems to support a hypothetical impeachment, it would be getting republicans to support it. You could maybe get somewhere between 50-100% of dems to support impeachment, the issue would be getting more than 5% of the republicans on board. Which isn't going to happen unless they actually find something really bad in those clandestine meetings with the Russians. The republicans, aside from Graham and McCain, haven't demonstrated much, if any, desire to do any digging. Probably out of fear that if they did that they would find things that they do not want brought to light, because it likely isn't criminal, just embarrassing, and then they would have an open fight with Bannon and Breitbart, and might well end up with an open civil war on the right.

The bigger issue, and what might tank him, is if he actually compromises, and softens his stance, tonight on immigration reform. He's so erratic that anything is possible in the speech he's giving to Congress tonight, and he's dumb enough that betraying his base is a possibility.

Regardless, for any talk of impeachment, or even investigations, to ever rise beyond mere speculation, more republicans than just Graham and McCain need to be making noise.

Graham is quite annoyed however...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39123281

Quote:
Mr Trump's 2018 budget blueprint reportedly includes a 37% spending cut for the State Department and US Agency for International Development (USAID).
He will set out to convince Congress of his proposal in his first address to a joint session on Tuesday night.
But Republican Senator Lindsey Graham said his plan is "dead on arrival".

"It's not going to happen. It would be a disaster. If you take soft power off the table then you're never going to win the war," Senator Graham said.
A 37% cut in the State Department budget would be insane.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

State is already a tiny department with a massive mission that spans the globe...and it is literally one of the most important Cabinet level Agencies if not the most important one. So...of course it makes sense to gut them. I mean, who the hell needs Ambassadors anyway? He can just send Ivanka or Jared Kushner abroad any time he needs to talk to a foreigner.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
State is already a tiny department with a massive mission that spans the globe...and it is literally one of the most important Cabinet level Agencies if not the most important one. So...of course it makes sense to gut them. I mean, who the hell needs Ambassadors anyway? He can just send Ivanka or Jared Kushner abroad any time he needs to talk to a foreigner.
At least in this case it wasn't just Graham, it was also McConnell, and seemingly every prominent general that were making clear that this can not happen.

McCain and Graham are holding a town hall on CNN right now. Really wish there were more republicans like these guys (and Collins). I often wonder if Graham would have been a democrat but for the fact that he's from South Carolina. Dude seems far too reasonable to be a republican. There was however also a bit of significant news that was revealed en passant about Sessions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.8d1cd791a6b0

Quote:
Then-Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) spoke twice last year with Russia’s ambassador to the United States, Justice Department officials said, encounters he did not disclose when asked about possible contacts between members of President Trump’s campaign and representatives of Moscow during Sessions’s confirmation hearing to become attorney general.

One of the meetings was a private conversation between Sessions and Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak that took place in September in the senator’s office, at the height of what U.S. intelligence officials say was a Russian cyber campaign to upend the U.S. presidential race.

Sessions may be in serious trouble...

Quote:
At his Jan. 10 Judiciary Committee confirmation hearing, Sessions was asked by Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) what he would do if he learned of any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of the 2016 campaign.

“I’m not aware of any of those activities,” he responded. He added: “I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians.”
Quote:
In January, Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) asked Sessions for answers to written questions. “Several of the President-elect’s nominees or senior advisers have Russian ties. Have you been in contact with anyone connected to any part of the Russian government about the 2016 election, either before or after election day?” Leahy wrote.

Sessions responded with one word: “No.”
Quote:
The Washington Post contacted all 26 members of the 2016 Senate Armed Services Committee to see whether any lawmakers besides Sessions met with Kislyak in 2016. Of the 19 lawmakers who responded, every senator, including Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.), said they did not meet with the Russian ambassador last year. The other lawmakers on the panel did not respond as of Wednesday evening.

“Members of the committee have not been beating a path to Kislyak’s door,” a senior Senate Armed Services Committee staffer said, citing tensions in relations with Moscow. Besides Sessions, the staffer added, “There haven’t been a ton of members who are looking to meet with Kislyak for their committee duties.”

Last edited by Kimon; 03-01-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sessions 100% perjured himself before Congress...and by his own definition (which he espoused during the Clinton impeachement), he is therefore guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors and he should be immediately impeached.

We all know that won't happen of course but still, he's the jackass that said it.

How much more smoke will it take for a real investigation of these Russian ties to happen?

Old 03-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How much more smoke will it take for a real investigation of these Russian ties to happen?
There's a famous quote from Aliens which might answer that question. Would result in some collateral damage, though.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Sessions 100% perjured himself before Congress...and by his own definition (which he espoused during the Clinton impeachement), he is therefore guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors and he should be immediately impeached.

We all know that won't happen of course but still, he's the jackass that said it.

He has recused himself from the inquiry into the Russian sabotage/infiltration job.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39148114

Still don't see how he could realistically survive this. The question should be over resignation over prosecution, not just over recusal. He has far less semantic ground to stand on than Bill Clinton did. Certainly less than Flynn had. This unambiguously looks like perjury, and considering his testimony was under oath, that should mean jail. Especially considering that the ambiguity with Bill was just over the obfuscation of marital infidelity, Sessions' is over the obfuscation of patriotic infidelity, as he was lying about meeting with a Russian spymaster (which is clearly what Kislyak is) in the midst of a scandal about Russian sabotaging the election and coordinating with the Trump administration. This could thus realistically be viewed not just as perjury, but treason.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
He has recused himself from the inquiry into the Russian sabotage/infiltration job.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39148114

Still don't see how he could realistically survive this. The question should be over resignation over prosecution, not just over recusal. He has far less semantic ground to stand on than Bill Clinton did. Certainly less than Flynn had. This unambiguously looks like perjury, and considering his testimony was under oath, that should mean jail. Especially considering that the ambiguity with Bill was just over the obfuscation of marital infidelity, Sessions' is over the obfuscation of patriotic infidelity, as he was lying about meeting with a Russian spymaster (which is clearly what Kislyak is) in the midst of a scandal about Russian sabotaging the election and coordinating with the Trump administration. This could thus realistically be viewed not just as perjury, but treason.
But why would he recuse himself? Spicer and Trump both said he's done nothing wrong. If he's done nothing wrong and this is all liberal fake media hit job stuff, why is he stepping back?

Old 03-02-2017, 04:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
There's a famous quote from Aliens which might answer that question. Would result in some collateral damage, though.
Why don't we just put her in charge?

Game over man, Game over!!!

Seventeen days? Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen hours!

Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen!

Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!

Old 03-02-2017, 07:42 PM
Ancient

This seems pretty insignificant compared to what Sessions did, nonetheless...

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/p...cked/98604904/

Quote:
Vice President Mike Pence routinely used a private email account to conduct public business as governor of Indiana, at times discussing sensitive matters and homeland security issues.

Emails released to IndyStar in response to a public records request show Pence communicated via his personal AOL account with top advisers on topics ranging from security gates at the governor’s residence to the state’s response to terror attacks across the globe. In one email, Pence’s top state homeland security adviser relayed an update from the FBI regarding the arrests of several men on federal terror-related charges.

Cybersecurity experts say the emails raise concerns about whether such sensitive information was adequately protected from hackers, given that personal accounts like Pence's are typically less secure than government email accounts. In fact, Pence's personal account was hacked last summer.
Quote:
Pence's office in Washington said in a written statement Thursday: "Similar to previous governors, during his time as Governor of Indiana, Mike Pence maintained a state email account and a personal email account. As Governor, Mr. Pence fully complied with Indiana law regarding email use and retention. Government emails involving his state and personal accounts are being archived by the state consistent with Indiana law, and are being managed according to Indiana’s Access to Public Records Act.”

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb's office released more than 30 pages from Pence's AOL account, but declined to release an unspecified number of emails because the state considers them confidential and too sensitive to release to the public.
Sounds familiar, nay?
Old 03-02-2017, 09:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But why would he recuse himself? Spicer and Trump both said he's done nothing wrong. If he's done nothing wrong and this is all liberal fake media hit job stuff, why is he stepping back?
It's all part of Bannon's 11th dimensional chess grand master strategy. Don't worry, it's all going to plan.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Today's revelation: Sessions used Trump campaign funds to pay for his trip to visit his Russian friends.

See, so it was TOTALLY Senate business...and he's just in massive violation of our campaign finance laws.

No wait, that's not good either.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:34 AM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

So, the timing of these conversations:

(1) The first conversation occurs at the RNC. The RNC takes place in Cleveland between July 21-24, 2016. At the same exact time, Trump associates demand a change to the Republican platform that is favorable to Russia: removing a provision about providing arms to the Ukraine.
(2) On July 22, right around this same exact time frame, Russia uses Wikileaks to release the first batch of illegally hacked emails from the Democratic National Committee.
(3) Around September 5, Obama announces that he will not lift sanctions on Russia for annexing Crimea from Ukraine.
(4) Three days later, September 8, 2016, the Russian ambassador has a private meeting with Jeff Sessions. Sessions is the only sitting U.S. Senator that the ambassador meets with. Also, at this time, Sessions is a well known surrogate for the Trump campaign. We don't know much at this point about the subject matter of this conversation, but Sessions did admit that the ambassador brought up the subject of the Ukraine.
(5) November 10, 2016- Russian diplomat Sergei A. Ryabkov admits that the Trump campaign had contacts with the Russian government during the pendency of the presidential campaign. Even after this point, Trump and his surrogates continue to deny the fact.
(6) January 10, 2017 - at a Senate confirmation hearing, Al Franken asks Jeff Sessions what he would do if he had information that Trump surrogates met with Russian officials. Sessions responds that he was a surrogate and he "did not ever have contact with Russians." Sessions later explained that he was "taken aback" by the question, and that was why he didn't provide a response that was completely truthful.

In summary, you'd have to be Stevie fucking Wonder to not see the links here.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 03-03-2017, 12:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

The only links I see are liberal fake news and tears over losing the election.

Make America Great Again!

Old 03-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

I mean, sure, we've got confirmed meetings and links between Trump's Attorney General, former Campaign Manager, Son-in-law, former National Security Advisor and a couple of others but besides that, there is absolutely no evidence of any communication between Russia and the Trump Administration prior to the inauguration and/or election.

And clearly all of these people were going to these meetings without any knowledge of Trump...because that's totally believable.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously guys? Can't we all just be happy that Clinton didn't win and leave it at that? I mean...she had e-mails. I mean who the fuck does that?
Old 03-04-2017, 03:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Today's revelation: Sessions used Trump campaign funds to pay for his trip to visit his Russian friends.

See, so it was TOTALLY Senate business...and he's just in massive violation of our campaign finance laws.

No wait, that's not good either.
Questioning what Sessions did means casting doubt about the integrity of a Senator, and that is against Senate rules. As the Silencing the Warren farce showed quite clearly. So, while ordinary people can indeed say that it is blatantly obvious that Sessions, while a Senator, violated all sorts of rules (and probably laws), the people in the US Senate are legally prohibited from doing that. Given this fact, on what possible grounds could they impeach Sessions?