art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's that web diagram we were waiting on...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post

Trump is now trying to assert that Obama was wire-tapping him.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39167110

Even (obviously) without any evidence, most of his conspiracy-prone supporters will buy this deflection. It carries the added benefit for Bannon of sowing another seed of mistrust for the courts and for the FBI amongst their constituents.

Unfortunately the most obvious way to deflect all of this is likely not too far down the road, as war will do a far more thorough job of shifting the narrative. Hopefully that just will mean us getting more directly involved with mopping up (with ground forces, not just air) the situation in Raqqa, and perhaps even Mosul. That would carry the danger of also betraying the Kurds, and being used by the Russians, Turkey, and Assad to foolishly destroy our only potentially reliable ally in the region. That would be unfortunate, but not disastrous. Far worse if we go after Iran or North Korea, but considering the naivete of the current administration, either or both are quite possible.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Questioning what Sessions did means casting doubt about the integrity of a Senator, and that is against Senate rules. As the Silencing the Warren farce showed quite clearly. So, while ordinary people can indeed say that it is blatantly obvious that Sessions, while a Senator, violated all sorts of rules (and probably laws), the people in the US Senate are legally prohibited from doing that. Given this fact, on what possible grounds could they impeach Sessions?
Procedurally prohibited, which is a different thing.

Quote:

There's still quite a lot missing from that. It's a good surface analysis of the highlights, but again, we really need a cross-referenced database.

Been loving Maddow's segments on the King of Fertilizer, lol. He's apparently lumped in with "Russian businesses".

Edit: here's the article where that diagram came from.

Last edited by Terez; 03-04-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

His tweetstorm today was particularly unhinged. He's either citing unsourced Breitbart articles as gospel (most likely) or admitting that there was sufficient evidence of wrongdoing to convince a FISA court to issue a warrant.

Neither is a good thing.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 03-04-2017, 09:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
His tweetstorm today was particularly unhinged. He's either citing unsourced Breitbart articles as gospel (most likely) or admitting that there was sufficient evidence of wrongdoing to convince a FISA court to issue a warrant.

Neither is a good thing.
It's the Sabbath. There's some statistical evidence that his crazy goes up a notch or six on the Sabbath...most likely because Ivanka & hubby are Jewish and they're not around to put the brakes on the crazy train...which is sad because it means that he's nominally *this* crazy, it's just that he's better handled during the week.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Oh good, he doubled down on his idiocy today calling for a Congressional investigation of Obamas "suspected misuse of Executive investigative powers last year"

I hope all the assholes that voted for this unhinged lunatic are happy.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:22 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh good, he doubled down on his idiocy today calling for a Congressional investigation of Obamas "suspected misuse of Executive investigative powers last year"

I hope all the assholes that voted for this unhinged lunatic are happy.
It sounds like they're hinging this on the ambiguity of how FISA works, and assuming that all their supporters will prefer to believe Trump, and mistrust not just Obama (which duh), not just the media (which duh), but also be willing to further undermine trust in the intel community, in the FBI, and in the courts.

The republicans are going to need to make a choice soon. Continue to protect Trump and Sessions, hoping that even with all this smoke, that there isn't any real fire, or cut their losses, force Sessions to resign, and inform Trump that his next AG will be selected by the republicans in Congress, not by him. Unfortunately, I think it far more likely that Chaffetz' instinct (since he is a shameless and unethical POS) here will be to initiate more of the same variety of show trial and kangaroo court nonsense that he led against Hillary.

The dems better at least take advantage of this and regain the House in 2018. Gerrymandering will make that difficult even if we likely end up with 5-10 million more votes spread across the country as a whole. What we really need to do is regain more governorships and state legislatures prior to the next census.

Edit:

There may not have even been a FISA ruling, or any wiretap, on this.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39172719

Either way, I think it's safe to assume that most of (or all) the Breitbart/InfoWars crowd will believe this even if it has no more veracity than Trump's claims of millions of illegals voting. And in this case, this is a far less outlandish claim, especially as there was clearly some surveillance, even if just focused on the activities of the Russians, by the intel community that was in play here.

Last edited by Kimon; 03-05-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:49 PM
Ancient

Perhaps Comey is finally starting to regret his role in sabotaging the election.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39175962
Old 03-05-2017, 07:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Perhaps Comey is finally starting to regret his role in sabotaging the election.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39175962
At what point do the adults in the room in DC (assuming there are any left) realize that Trump is literally mentally unstable and unfit for office? He's very clearly got very serious mental issues.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
At what point do the adults in the room in DC (assuming there are any left) realize that Trump is literally mentally unstable and unfit for office? He's very clearly got very serious mental issues.
I seem to recall at some point someone (Google says it was Grover Norquist in 2012, and damn him for and his parents for giving the muppet a bad name) characterized the requirements for the President as "someone that can handle a pen".

Now, from what I've heard, Trump qualifies on that criteria, so even mentally unstable he can handle a pen, so I guess they're still hoping, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that plans are in place to remove him. They just have to time it so as to insulate and protect those that would form the new Administration.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

And the more time they take, the less insulation will be left. Until eventually no Republican will be untainted, and they have to choose between leaving Trump as totalitarian ruler or handing the presidency to Hillary Clinton after all. Then what?
Old 03-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Then what?
Do things the Ecksian way and put all politicians in prison as soon as they are elected because it saves time?
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-06-2017, 09:36 PM
Ancient

Quote:
And the more time they take, the less insulation will be left. Until eventually no Republican will be untainted, and they have to choose between leaving Trump as totalitarian ruler or handing the presidency to Hillary Clinton after all. Then what?
The Washington Post put out an interesting article yesterday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.89645c463443

Quote:
Trump, meanwhile, has been feeling besieged, believing that his presidency is being tormented in ways known and unknown by a group of Obama-aligned critics, federal bureaucrats and intelligence figures — not to mention the media, which he has called “the enemy of the American people.”

That angst over what many in the White House call the “deep state” is fomenting daily, fueled by rumors and tidbits picked up by Trump allies within the intelligence community and by unconfirmed allegations that have been made by right-wing commentators. The “deep state” is a phrase popular on the right for describing entrenched networks hostile to Trump.
Quote:
Stories from Breitbart News, the incendiary conservative website, have been circulated at the White House’s highest levels in recent days, including one story where talk-radio host Mark Levin accused the Obama administration of mounting a “silent coup,” according to several officials.

Stephen K. Bannon, the White House chief strategist who once ran Breitbart, has spoken with Trump at length about his view that the “deep state” is a direct threat to his presidency.

Advisers pointed to Bannon’s frequent closed-door guidance on the topic and Trump’s agreement as a fundamental way of understanding the president’s behavior and his willingness to confront the intelligence community — and said that when Bannon spoke recently about the “deconstruction of the administrative state,” he was also alluding to his aim of rupturing the intelligence community and its influence on the U.S. national security and *foreign policy consensus.
This all is starting to seem eerily similar to Tiberius (Trump) and Sejanus (Bannon). Heck, Mar-a-Lago is even a bit similar to Capri. Of course, if that parallel holds things could get quite a bit worse (or more interesting, depending upon one's perspective and proximity).
Old 03-07-2017, 03:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Trump is simply taking Eisenhower's warnings about the military-industrial complex (MIC) seriously. As you may remember, the MIC gained the full support of the media when they conquered Hollywood in the Top Gun episode. This also explains why the American media were so uncritical about the (Republican) bullshit stories about Iraqi WMD.

Trump merely wants to take America back to the great days of the coalition with Stalin. That makes sense, doesn't it?
Old 03-07-2017, 08:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I saw an article on Breitbart the other day talking about the "deep state" as it relates to the DHS leak of the intelligence report on the proposed Muslim ban. It's honestly a pretty creepy way of looking at it.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I saw an article on Breitbart the other day talking about the "deep state" as it relates to the DHS leak of the intelligence report on the proposed Muslim ban. It's honestly a pretty creepy way of looking at it.
Pretty much everything on Breitbart is "pretty creepy"...

Old 03-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
There must always be an enemy- a cadre of un-American bad hombres- upon which to blame failures, which can never, under any circumstances, be the fault of the Dear Leader.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 03-08-2017, 04:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
There must always be an enemy- a cadre of un-American bad hombres- upon which to blame failures, which can never, under any circumstances, be the fault of the Dear Leader.
Yup. The Reds, Hippies, Drugs, Terrorism. There's always a "War on ..." something ni the US.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
Yup. The Reds, Hippies, Drugs, Terrorism. There's always a "War on ..." something ni the US.
I blame the transformers. The American youth has been programmed to think that 1) "good guys" win just by being the "good guys" 2) "good guys" can be defined solely by looks 3) everything bad is the fault of "bad guys" who are a completely separate entity and 4) defeating the "bad guys" is by itself a solution to anything and everything.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-09-2017, 03:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

That attitude is by no means limited to the USA, nor was it invented there. Maybe one could say that the "war on ..." terminology was invented in America, but I'm not sure of that either.
Consider, for instance, the so called Christian-Judaic culture that is now so often touted as being "ours". What that amounted to for almost 2000 years was Christians waging a "War on Jews". But because nowadays butchering Jews isn't politically correct, that detail tends to be glossed over.