art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 08:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
That attitude is by no means limited to the USA, nor was it invented there. Maybe one could say that the "war on ..." terminology was invented in America, but I'm not sure of that either.
Consider, for instance, the so called Christian-Judaic culture that is now so often touted as being "ours". What that amounted to for almost 2000 years was Christians waging a "War on Jews". But because nowadays butchering Jews isn't politically correct, that detail tends to be glossed over.
To be fair, it isn't politically correct now but I wouldn't be completely stunned if violent antisemitism rose. If anything, periods where it hasn't been prevalent are far more rare during those two eons than periods where it is. We're already seeing the rise of the Far Right again across Western Europe and the US...antisemitism tends to go hand in hand with that sort of political sentiment.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That attitude is by no means limited to the USA, nor was it invented there. Maybe one could say that the "war on ..." terminology was invented in America, but I'm not sure of that either.
Consider, for instance, the so called Christian-Judaic culture that is now so often touted as being "ours". What that amounted to for almost 2000 years was Christians waging a "War on Jews". But because nowadays butchering Jews isn't politically correct, that detail tends to be glossed over.
Well yes but transformers enforced the "it's all about oil" attitude so it's still all their fault even if they didn't invent it.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-09-2017, 04:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Here is another attempt to connect all the dots, but it also falls short. Doesn't even really touch the real estate corruption issues that have come up recently where Trump is apparently involved in assisting Russian oligarchs with laundering their money.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:10 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
To be fair, it isn't politically correct now but I wouldn't be completely stunned if violent antisemitism rose. If anything, periods where it hasn't been prevalent are far more rare during those two eons than periods where it is. We're already seeing the rise of the Far Right again across Western Europe and the US...antisemitism tends to go hand in hand with that sort of political sentiment.
It's interesting to watch them shift because Israel fights radical moose lambs, and so Israel is good, but it's full of jews, so now the fascist right is getting good with jews.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 03-09-2017, 11:24 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Here is another attempt to connect all the dots, but it also falls short. Doesn't even really touch the real estate corruption issues that have come up recently where Trump is apparently involved in assisting Russian oligarchs with laundering their money.
There also seems to be lingering questions surrounding Trump's connections to a particular Russian bank.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/09/politi...-organization/

This may well just end up being a curiosity, but it does underscore that once the dems regain either the senate or the house, that they need to make sure to pass one particular law, even if merely to force the republicans (and Trump in particular) the embarrassment of blocking/vetoing it - i.e. the need to finally pass formal legislation requiring full financial and tax history disclosure for all presidential candidates (or at least party nominees). Trump should not be allowed to be a precedent for any future candidate, nor should he be allowed, if he runs for a second term, to do so without releasing a full disclosure of his foreign holdings and investments.

It would still be difficult to find evidence of bribes, or even evidence of less obviously criminal financial incentives offered by the Russians as a quid pro quo for the cessation of the sanctions (which let's face it, is what everyone suspects must have happened), but it would at least both allow some transparency, and, perhaps even more importantly, discourage shady businessmen (like Trump) hopefully from running for the presidency in the future.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
It's interesting to watch them shift because Israel fights radical moose lambs, and so Israel is good, but it's full of jews, so now the fascist right is getting good with jews.
Correction: They're getting good with Israel...not the Jewish People. They are hoping that the gathering of Jews in the Holy Land is a indicator of the Second Coming. Its one of the requirements of that prophecy so they're super gung ho about Jews being in Israel. Lots of Evangelicals LOVE Israel for that reason but they still don't like the Jews. Its simply part of the Christian Zionism movement.

There has been a definite rise in antisemitism in the US that has coincided with Trump's rise to power.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 03-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

TBH anti-semitism is a much bigger issue on the leftist side of the political spectrum than the right nowadays.

Probably some weird logical short-circuit when they try to get their "us vs them" straight.

- The right hates Muslims
- The right is always wrong so we must love Muslims
- Jews (or rather Israel) hates the Muslims we love
- We must hate Jews

Imagine how far we'd get if people could wrap their head around the fact that all of humanity can't be neatly put in two completely separate groups.

I would miss all the fun of seeing people talk themselves into Nazis in discussions though :P

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 03-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

Um...not in the US. Or at least, its a bit more muddy than that.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...&ICID=ref_fark

More charts laying out all the Trump and Russia connections. 7 full charts of them.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

14 Million More Uninsured Due to Trumpcare

That's right, 14 million more uninsured by 2018...and 24 million more uninsured by 2026. So no big deal, right?

Also, more fun...apparently when Trump said "Obama wiretapped me" he didn't mean "Obama" and he didn't mean "wiretap"

That English language is just so tricky.

Last edited by Davian93; 03-13-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That's right, 14 million more uninsured by 2018...and 24 million more uninsured by 2026. So no big deal, right?

Also, more fun...apparently when Trump said "Obama wiretapped me" he didn't mean "Obama" and he didn't mean "wiretap"

That English language is just so tricky.
So he meant "me" then? Story checks out. He is a narcissist. Everything is about him.

Last edited by ShadowbaneX; 03-13-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I imagine Paul Ryan will try to focus on this element...

Quote:
CBO and JCT estimate that enacting the legislation would reduce federal deficits by
$337 billion over the 2017-2026 period. That total consists of $323 billion in on-budget
savings and $13 billion in off-budget savings. Outlays would be reduced by $1.2 trillion
over the period, and revenues would be reduced by $0.9 trillion.
The largest savings would come from reductions in outlays for Medicaid and from the
elimination of the Affordable Care Act’s (ACA’s) subsidies for nongroup health insurance.
Of course, those federal savings from Medicaid mean that the states, rather than the federal government, will either foot that added expense (driving them into bankruptcy), or else drastically cut Medicaid coverage (which will obviously happen, hence much of the drop in overall coverage). And the savings from subsidies mean that unlike the largely hyperbolic claims of rising rates at present due to the existing law, this change will mean drastically raising rates, and thus again a sharp decrease in coverage numbers as many of those most egregiously affected will likely determine that they simply can not feasibly continue to afford the coverage, and thus will be back to gambling on their health, and then facing financial ruin and massive debt if they, or anyone in their family, faces any serious health complications. And all so that the super rich can get a tax cut.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:34 PM
Ancient

Rachel Maddow is talking about this right now...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-marquee-tower

Quote:
A company owned by the family of Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, stands to receive more than $400 million from a prominent Chinese company that is investing in the Kushners’ marquee Manhattan office tower at 666 Fifth Ave.

The planned $4-billion transaction includes terms that some real estate experts consider unusually favorable for the Kushners. It provides them with both a sizable cash payout from Anbang Insurance Group for a property that has struggled financially and an equity stake in a new partnership.
Anbang is apparently a pretty transparent front for the Chinese govt, and...

Quote:
The deal would value the 41-story tower at $2.85 billion, the most ever for a single Manhattan building: $1.6 billion for the office section and $1.25 billion for the retail section. The new partnership will refinance $1.15 billion in existing mortgage debt.
That is quite an extravagant bribe. Convenient that Trump just fired the US Attorney for NYC, Bharara, who was also looking into a bunch of potentially legally troubling connections between Trump and Deutsche Bank. For all the manufactured scandal about the Clinton Foundation, this, again, is a real cause for concern.

If the dems ever regain Congress they should have at least a few dozen ironclad raisons d'etre for his impeachment, not to mention grounds for prosecution on corruption and bribery charges for seemingly everyone he knows and is related to.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon
Of course, those federal savings from Medicaid mean that the states, rather than the federal government, will either foot that added expense (driving them into bankruptcy), or else drastically cut Medicaid coverage (which will obviously happen, hence much of the drop in overall coverage).
Its basically a $900 Billion tax cut that goes directly into the pockets of the wealthiest among us.

I can feel that warm salty pee trickling down all over me for some reason...

Old 03-14-2017, 12:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Its basically a $900 Billion tax cut that goes directly into the pockets of the wealthiest among us.

I can feel that warm salty pee trickling down all over me for some reason...
That's trickle down economics, Republican style, isn't it?
Old 03-18-2017, 11:23 AM
Ancient

RIP World?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7636956.html

Quote:
Financial officials from the world's biggest economies have dropped from a joint statement any mention of financing action on climate change, reportedly following pressure from the US and Saudi Arabia.
Quote:
Their communique showed no mention of a commitment to fund action on climate change, and Reuters reported there had been opposition from the US, Saudi Arabia and other countries to Germany's intention to include it.
https://www.ft.com/content/241cdf2a-...c-50ba212dce4d

Quote:
Finance ministers from the world’s biggest economies have dropped pledges to renounce protectionism in a meeting marked by tension over trade between the US and China.
Quote:
The watered-down commitments on free trade reflected the anti-globalisation mood that Donald Trump has brought to Washington and came in the first G20 meetings between Steven Mnuchin, the new US Treasury Secretary, and his foreign counterparts.

While representatives from China were particularly vocal in urging forthright language on protectionism, the US was unwilling to comply, in a turnround from America’s traditional position as a standard-bearer for globalised capitalism.

Japan was said to be one of the few countries that struck a more supportive tone towards the US approach.
Quote:
The mood from the US towards the G20 has shifted dramatically since the arrival of Mr Trump, whose America First economic strategy clashes with traditional promises that G20 leaders have willingly signed up to in the past. It heralds a harsher approach in US relations with its counterparts — as evidenced this week by the tense meeting between Mr Trump and Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, on Friday.

The haggling over the trade language went late into the meeting, underscoring strong feelings on both sides of the debate.
It is somewhat ironic that it is now the Germans being forced to try to defend and protect the world against Anglo-American insanity.

Last edited by Kimon; 03-18-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

It is also somewhat ironic that Trump is conspiring with Muslim extremists to destroy American farmers.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of wishing for that zombie apocalypse now. Cut world population to 0.1% and overuse of natural resources drops pretty damn dramatically.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-18-2017, 01:57 PM
Ancient

Quote:
It is also somewhat ironic that Trump is conspiring with Muslim extremists to destroy American farmers.
I'm also stuck somewhere between amused and terrified by the fact that he refuses to stop digging that hole on his wiretapping claims.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39312176

Quote:
The claim that GCHQ carried out surveillance on Donald Trump during the election campaign is "arrant nonsense", Rick Ledgett, the number two at the US National Security Agency (NSA) has told the BBC in an exclusive interview.
A commentator on Fox News had claimed that GCHQ had carried out the activity on America's behalf, but Mr Ledgett said the claim showed "a complete lack of understanding in how the relationship works".
Each side, he said, was prohibited from asking the other partner to carry out acts that they were prohibited from doing.
He also said the huge risks to the UK in carrying out such an act would completely outweigh any benefits.
"Of course they wouldn't do it. It would be epically stupid," he told me.
It's difficult to decide what is more frightening, that he truly believes it happened, or that he is simply too stubborn to admit that he was wrong. You know things have gone truly fubar when even the idea of Pence as president is starting to feel almost comforting by comparison.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
You know things have gone truly fubar when even the idea of Pence as president is starting to feel almost comforting by comparison.
Just try to imagine who Pence would ask to be his VP.