art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): uausnaughbroo,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 03:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

What will happen when Trump asks Gorsuch to step down?
Old 04-10-2017, 06:38 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

RIP United Airlines?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39556910

Quote:
A common overbooking problem on a United Airlines flight on Sunday ended with a man being bloodied and dragged from his seat and an already troubled airline earning more bad press. How did it all go so wrong?
Overbooking on flights happens all the time. Empty seats cost airlines money, so they offset the number of passengers who miss flights by selling too many tickets.
In this case, the problem arose because United decided at the last minute to fly four members of staff to a connection point and needed to bump four passengers to make way for them.
When there's an overbooking issue the first step is to offer an inducement to the passengers to take a later flight. On Sunday passengers were offered $400 (322), a hotel room for the night, and a flight the following afternoon.
$400, and stuck in a hotel is an insult. How could they possibly expect anyone to jump at that offer?

Quote:
When no one took the offer, the amount was upped to $800. Still no one bit, so a manager boarded the flight and informed passengers that four people would be selected to leave the flight.
$800 is not worth the inconvenience, especially when all of this was so that United could put 4 of their own employees on as extra passengers. Their apparent max offer, only $1350, still seems a cheap offer under the circumstances, and here they were too cheap even to offer that as an olive branch for their own callous incompetence.

Quote:
An eyewitness said the man was "very upset" about the possibility of being bumped and attempted to call his lawyer. An airline manager told him that security would be called if he did not comply.
At this point, security officers came to speak to him, first one then two more. As the video shows, their conversation ended with the man being yanked from his seat onto the floor and dragged off, blood visible on this face.
All so United could overbook, and then put 4 unplanned employees onto the flight as passengers. Hopefully this bad publicity destroys their stock. Airlines have been continuously making flying more and more unpleasant over the past three decades. If there was ever a business model that left zero room for sympathy with the business, it is the airline industry.

Oh, and just in case you need more cause to say "f*ck you" to United...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a078466e27c0
Old 04-11-2017, 03:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Undoubtedly, Trump could have offered those passengers a deal they could not refuse.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh, and just in case you need more cause to say "f*ck you" to United...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a078466e27c0
On that one, I don't see the issue. They were flying for free on an employee program (as dependents of a United employee) and they have a dress code for employees that applies in such a situation. They weren't regular passengers.

The guy getting dragged off...its a case study on how not to handle a PR issue as a business. They should have called him the day it happened and said "here's $10K and our deepest apologies" and it would have been over. Their idiotic CEO doubling down a couple times over "well the fine print of the ticket says we can do this" is mind-bogglingly out of touch with how this issue is being perceived by their potential customers.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 04-11-2017, 11:13 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
On that one, I don't see the issue. They were flying for free on an employee program (as dependents of a United employee) and they have a dress code for employees that applies in such a situation. They weren't regular passengers.

The guy getting dragged off...its a case study on how not to handle a PR issue as a business. They should have called him the day it happened and said "here's $10K and our deepest apologies" and it would have been over. Their idiotic CEO doubling down a couple times over "well the fine print of the ticket says we can do this" is mind-bogglingly out of touch with how this issue is being perceived by their potential customers.
I still think that kicking a couple of little girls off a plane for wearing yoga pants is ridiculous too, though obvously orders of magnitude less than having cops rough up a Vietnamese-American doctor (whose poor English seemed also perhaps a contributing factor to this spiralling out of hand) who didn't think that their ridiculously lowballed offer was enough to get back off the plane. And that is the biggest problem in a nutshell - this had to be done before the passengers boarded. Offer this incentive at the gate, pre-boarding, and keep raising the offered incentives until you get enough bites. This should not have happened on the plane. And then to have the local constabularies drag him off? Those cops deserve to be fired too. Defintely the United CEO will need to fall on his sword, but their stock is going to tank.

As an aside, this Unitd CEO seems like he would be a perfect fit for any open position in the Trump administration.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
As an aside, this Unitd CEO seems like he would be a perfect fit for any open position in the Trump administration.
There's apparently a Secretary of Transportation right now. As soon as she needs to be fired (can't be long, with Trump) the position will be available.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Adult Swim, perhaps to make up for the fact that this whole year has felt like a cruel April Fool's joke, is streaming a new episode of Rick and Morty today.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/streams
My sub was not happy about that at all. Neither was r/samuraijack, and since that sub is a free-for-all, they had a bajillion threads complaining about it.

From tonight's Maddow:

Old 04-13-2017, 09:47 AM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

At one of our Federalist Society events, I brought in a high-profile attorney from DC to debate one of our professors. After the event, a few of us took him out to lunch and he informed us that according to a few of his inside sources, Justice Kennedy is stepping down in June. Who knows if it's true, but it's been rumored for awhile that he wants to step down relatively soon. If that's the case, it's unfortunate your party decided to attack Gorsuch when there are far more "extreme" justices that Trump could choose from.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frankly, I think that the problem is overstated.
As soon as the Democrats get back into power, they can impeach any and all justices they don't like. They will need nothing more than a bare majority by that point, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The fact that this makes an utter mockery of the idea of a non-political justice system is entirely the fault of the Republicans. But I don't think that bothers you much, Southpaw; at least not as long as it is the Republicans who have the majority.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:12 AM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
From tonight's Maddow:

The problem with these strikes is where does it lead. If regime change, the worry isn't just what fills that vacuum, but what happens to the Alawites. Right now the refugees are almost exclusively Sunni. If Assad falls we likely are only creating a new refugee crisis - of the Shia/Alawite population of Syria.

One would wish that Iraq and Libya would have served as lessons.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post
At one of our Federalist Society events, I brought in a high-profile attorney from DC to debate one of our professors. After the event, a few of us took him out to lunch and he informed us that according to a few of his inside sources, Justice Kennedy is stepping down in June. Who knows if it's true, but it's been rumored for awhile that he wants to step down relatively soon. If that's the case, it's unfortunate your party decided to attack Gorsuch when there are far more "extreme" justices that Trump could choose from.
Because it mattered when the filibuster would be abolished...oh right, it didn't.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 04-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
If Assad falls we likely are only creating a new refugee crisis - of the Shia/Alawite population of Syria.
Can't they go to Israel? That's nearby, after all.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:07 PM
Ancient

Exit Bill O'Reilly

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39647434

Not that anyone is likely naive enough to think that this decision has much, if anything, to do with ethics, but...

Quote:
More than 50 sponsors have withdrawn ads from his show, The O'Reilly Factor.
Apparently his successor, at least at present, will be Tucker Carlson. No doubt they are now wishing that they had thrown enough money at Megyn Kelly to convince her to stay, and to take over that slot herself.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:56 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Fox News won't miss a beat. The messenger is immaterial- what matters is the soothing white noise of someone telling you that your own failures are not your fault but instead the problem is with people who never had any real power or influence in our society to begin with.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 05-03-2017, 09:55 PM
Ancient

It will be interesting to see if this actually passes tomorrow. So much for hoping that Jimmy Kimmel of all people had perhaps finally put an end to this idiocy...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/02/politi...lth-care-bill/

It is quite telling as to just how awful this is however that they were too frightened to allow for a CBO scoring this time before the vote. Regardless, this should still die in the senate, but this playing with fire becomes a bit more serious when it becomes senate republicans rather than president Obama that is now the only one left in government able to play the adult amidst the temper tantrum.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

I almost hope it does pass the House at least...it'll be a giant stone that can be hung around their neck in 2018.

Experts are saying it'd cost $30 billion a year to cover pre-existing conditions...this bill provides $8 billion...over 5 years.

So it'll utterly fail and maybe, just maybe people will wake up to the fact that the GOP doesn't give a shit about them and only wants to make money for their corporate donors and based on some fucked up belief system that they all claim to be a part of.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Trumpcare passes House by 1 vote...and takes healthcare away from at least 24 million Americans and massively increases premiums for pretty much anyone who is over the age of 50 and who has ever been sick.

2018 mid-terms should be fun.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:03 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Trumpcare passes House by 1 vote...and takes healthcare away from at least 24 million Americans and massively increases premiums for pretty much anyone who is over the age of 50 and who has ever been sick.

2018 mid-terms should be fun.
217 to 213. 20 republicans voted against it. This was obviously a bit of a Catch-22 for the republicans, and it will be quite interesting to see what the CBO eventually says about this. Have to imagine that the $8 Billion for pre-existing is both woefully inadequate (not to mention only currently earmarked for five years, conveniently after the next presidential elections), and would still mean massive increases in health insurance within those high risk pools regardless of how much more money is allocated once this negotiation proceeds to the senate. Have to imagine that there are a lot of senate republicans who really wish, even if quietly, that this had died again in the House.

It still is uncertain, as is much the case with this rushed product, just what this will mean for the Medicaid expansion, let alone how inadequate the funding will be for the pre-existing condition pool. Have to think this still dies in the senate, but, if nothing else, this will distract somewhat for Trump from the investigation into his, and his administration's, collusion with Russia.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

It wouldn't shock me if the Senate somehow passed it too...let the world burn.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:56 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
217 to 213. 20 republicans voted against it. This was obviously a bit of a Catch-22 for the republicans, and it will be quite interesting to see what the CBO eventually says about this. Have to imagine that the $8 Billion for pre-existing is both woefully inadequate (not to mention only currently earmarked for five years, conveniently after the next presidential elections), and would still mean massive increases in health insurance within those high risk pools regardless of how much more money is allocated once this negotiation proceeds to the senate. Have to imagine that there are a lot of senate republicans who really wish, even if quietly, that this had died again in the House.

It still is uncertain, as is much the case with this rushed product, just what this will mean for the Medicaid expansion, let alone how inadequate the funding will be for the pre-existing condition pool. Have to think this still dies in the senate, but, if nothing else, this will distract somewhat for Trump from the investigation into his, and his administration's, collusion with Russia.

Yeah because Obamacare is a massive failure. We wouldn't be in this predicament if your party hadn't shoved a bs law that was built on lies through Congress. I feel bad for business owners who will now face the wrath of angry, ignorant Dems who will now go out and destroy in protest.
Closed Thread