art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

In an absolutely unsurprising turn of events, the Senate Republicans are supportive of the Comey firing. What a crock.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

Infidel has disabled reputation

Comey? Old news, AND FAKE!!!

Here's the true threat, about to be investigated by Vice Fuhrer Himmler--er, Vice President Pence:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.feb9f4d5b407
Old 05-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
Comey? Old news, AND FAKE!!!

Here's the true threat, about to be investigated by Vice Fuhrer Himmler--er, Vice President Pence:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.feb9f4d5b407
We tend to laugh at republican claims of voter fraud and suppression, and for good reason, but let's be clear, both voter fraud and voter suppression are real and significant problems. Albeit those issues are not illegal aliens voting, not the dead voting, not people voting numerous times. No, the problem is the suppression of minority and urban voters through the limiting available voting precincts in cities. Through the limiting of access to early voting and voting via mail. Through the continued insistence that voting should be on a Tuesday, and that these Tuesdays should not be a federal holiday, thus making it difficult for the poor to vote, as it means choosing between work, or skipping work (possibly even getting fired for missing work) due to standing in line for hours while waiting to vote.

I vote by mail because in Illinois, a state run by the dems, you don't have to prove some justification to vote absentee. Nor should you need to. Voting should be made easy and convenient. Voting should not be a pain in the ass. One side should not openly strategize ways to keep the opposition from being willing or even capable of voting.

There is a reason why we think that the republican party has become a despicable and evil organization. A reason why we see them as the enemy of democracy. A reason why only insane kooks like Jill Stein see no difference between the two parties.

This does however point to the one other potentially realistic (aside from fears that Comey was getting to close to the president with his Russia investigation) possibility for why Trump fired Comey. And that is ego. Trump is obsessed with the anxiety that he lost the popular vote to Hillary. Obsessed with the need to somehow prove that her popular vote win must be invalidated. He also could well be obsessed with anxiety over the fact that so many are certain that he is only president because of Comey. Hence perhaps obsessed with invalidating the kingmaker, Comey, himself.

Last edited by Kimon; 05-11-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Be real, Kimon...for that to be true, Trump would have to be a thin-skinned insecure egomaniac who has no business running a hot dog stand in Central Park let alone the most powerful nation in the world.

Let's be real, nobody would be dumb enough to vote for someone with that startling lack of emotional control and lack of overall intelligence.

Oh dear god, what has our country done?!??!

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 05-11-2017, 07:56 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Be real, Kimon...for that to be true, Trump would have to be a thin-skinned insecure egomaniac who has no business running a hot dog stand in Central Park let alone the most powerful nation in the world.

Let's be real, nobody would be dumb enough to vote for someone with that startling lack of emotional control and lack of overall intelligence.

Oh dear god, what has our country done?!??!
I'm not sure that we can completely disregard the possibility of the Rashomon Effect.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/11/u...ey-firing.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Only seven days after Donald J. Trump was sworn in as president, James B. Comey has told associates, the F.B.I. director was summoned to the White House for a one-on-one dinner with the new commander in chief.

The conversation that night in January, Mr. Comey now believes, was a harbinger of his downfall this week as head of the F.B.I., according to two people who have heard his account of the dinner.

As they ate, the president and Mr. Comey made small talk about the election and the crowd sizes at Mr. Trump’s rallies. The president then turned the conversation to whether Mr. Comey would pledge his loyalty to him.

Mr. Comey declined to make that pledge. Instead, Mr. Comey has recounted to others, he told Mr. Trump that he would always be honest with him, but that he was not “reliable” in the conventional political sense.
Quote:
Throughout his career, Mr. Trump has made loyalty from the people who worked for him a key priority, often discharging employees he considered insufficiently reliable.

As described by the two people, the dinner offers a window into Mr. Trump’s approach to the presidency, through Mr. Comey’s eyes. A businessman and reality television star who never served in public office, Mr. Trump may not have understood that by tradition, F.B.I. directors are not supposed to be political loyalists, which is why Congress in the 1970s passed a law giving them 10-year terms to make them independent of the president.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, morale throughout the federal gov't is in the absolute toilet...regardless of political viewpoints. Mind you, we don't discuss politics at work in the traditional sense but most people have an idea of where everyone stands politically.

And R and D alike have nothing good to say about him or what he's doing. And everyone walks on eggshells. I have friends and former colleagues throughout the executive branch and basically none of them have said anything is doing better than it was under Obama...even the ones who hated Obama.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 05-11-2017, 10:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Great Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to all
Default You can never betray him

You can never betray him.

"I swear not to betray the Great Lord, to keep my secrets until the hour of my death"
Old 05-12-2017, 12:11 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Reading that article on Trump's demands for loyalty, I was strongly reminded of Elaida.

I am moved to wonder... will Tuffa be a good damane?
Old 05-12-2017, 09:37 AM
Youngling

connabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really nice

"will you pledge loyalty"

this is some truly dystopian shit. good luck, world.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Comey should have just blathered out that stupid Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag. If it's good enough for school kids, then it is no doubt good enough for Trump.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by connabard View Post
"will you pledge loyalty"

this is some truly dystopian shit. good luck, world.
No, its just your typical fascist shit...or any other 3rd world strongman shit.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:14 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
No, its just your typical fascist shit...or any other 3rd world strongman shit.
At this point perhaps the republicans should really just consider a back channel request to Putin to whack Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/12/u...briefings.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump on Friday warned James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director he fired this week, against leaking anything negative about him, saying that Mr. Comey “better hope” that there are no secret tapes of their conversations that the president could use in retaliation.

The suggestion that the president may be surreptitiously recording his meetings or telephone calls added a twist at the end of a week that roiled Washington. Mr. Trump and his White House aides later refused to say whether the president tapes his visitors, something Mr. Trump was suspected of doing when he was in business in New York.
Quote:
No president in the past 40 years has been known to regularly tape his phone calls or meetings because, among other reasons, they could be subpoenaed by investigators as they were during the Watergate investigation that ultimately forced President Richard M. Nixon to resign. Phone calls with foreign leaders, though, are typically transcribed with the knowledge of other participants.

Democrats expressed shock. “For a president who baselessly accused his predecessor of illegally wiretapping him, that Mr. Trump would suggest that he, himself, may have engaged in such conduct is staggering,” said Representative Adam B. Schiff of California, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee. “The president should immediately provide any such recordings to Congress or admit, once again, to have made a deliberately misleading — and in this case threatening — statement.”
Old 05-12-2017, 09:50 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...510-story.html

I love reading bs commentary on Republican women. Ivanka Trump is no conservative, of course, but it's amusing when opinion pieces, or with the liberal media, actual news articles, come out and unjustly attack women on the Right. Can you imagine what would have happened if these attacks, most unjustified, had been done on Michelle holy saint Obama? The leftist media and academia would have attacked like a pack of wild dogs with claims of racism, sexism, etc. etc. and all the other bs that liberals resort to when their arguments fail. We all know what happened when the rodeo clown wore the Obama mask...

Stupid, disgraceful liberals. Trump won't destroy this country, it will be the whiny, brain-dead trash on the Left who believe in suppression and oppression, which is what is going on within college campuses. I don't agree with a lot of what Trump has done, but your pathetic party has got me rooting, not just for the office (as I would regardless of who was president) but for the crazy guy himself.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post

I love reading bs commentary on Republican women. Ivanka Trump is no conservative, of course, but it's amusing when opinion pieces, or with the liberal media, actual news articles, come out and unjustly attack women on the Right. Can you imagine what would have happened if these attacks, most unjustified, had been done on Michelle holy saint Obama? The leftist media and academia would have attacked like a pack of wild dogs with claims of racism, sexism, etc. etc. and all the other bs that liberals resort to when their arguments fail. We all know what happened when the rodeo clown wore the Obama mask...

Stupid, disgraceful liberals. Trump won't destroy this country, it will be the whiny, brain-dead trash on the Left who believe in suppression and oppression, which is what is going on within college campuses. I don't agree with a lot of what Trump has done, but your pathetic party has got me rooting, not just for the office (as I would regardless of who was president) but for the crazy guy himself.
Can you point out what things in that article are unjust?
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
Quite obviously, the following is false:
Quote:
Deep down, after all, Americans ... dislike being sold a false bill of goods.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:40 PM
Ancient

There is a bit of a danger of being so focused on the circus that we miss some of the mundane, but arguably more substantive issues (not to diminish the danger of Trump confusing the presidency with monarchic rule, and believing that he should have the right to demand oaths of fealty from an FBI directors, or that firing the man investigating him for treason could somehow not be controversial), but this week this also happened.

Or perhaps I should say almost happened...
Quote:
SENATE KILLS METHANE REPEAL: A GOP resolution to repeal the Obama administration's methane rule for public lands was torpedoed Wednesday by a surprise decision from Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) to vote against it.

McCain joined Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and all of the Senate's 48 Democrats in voting down the measure by a narrow 51 to 49 margin.

Collins and Graham had both telegraphed their intentions to vote "no" long before Wednesday's vote, but McCain hadn't.

It was the first failed vote of the Trump era, after 13 successful Congressional Review Act (CRA) votes to undo regulations former President Barack Obama finalized in his last months in office.
Now, it is quite possible that we are already so far past the tipping point that we could perhaps just say f*ck it, our grandchildren better figure out how to colonize ours and neighboring solar systems, but really, when only 3 republicans (and always the same three) are willing to stand with the dems to keep methane regulations in place it really does underscore just how awful that party has become.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:35 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
Honestly, I don't give a damn what people think about Ivanka. I don't even know whether or not I agree with the opinion piece. I think a lot of it is based on her father, as anyone connected to Donald Trump is automatically an enemy of the Left. My issue, which I explain, is the double standards. You know as well as I do, or if you don't you're turning a blind eye to it, that people in the mainstream media would not have dared to attack Michelle Obama, or any one of her children, out of fear of public backlash. Is it because she's black? Probably, as minorities are untouchable in the eyes of the Left, regardless of what happens. But it's honestly ridiculous.

It's like the Alt-Right's recent protest regarding the removal of the Confederate general's statue. It has been all over the news, how horrific it is and how evil southern white nationals are, etc. etc. It certainly was a despicable protest, and I have no problem with people criticizing some of those in the Alt-Right who expound white-supremist beliefs. And I don't blame the media for covering it and criticizing it for the crap it was. That being said, there is very little coverage of the protests on college campuses. You know, the one's that occur on a weekly basis whenever a conservative speaker comes to speak on liberty, limited government, and free markets. Unlike Berkely, and many other campuses where people get harassed and battered, and property gets destroyed, at least the Alt-Right protest was peaceful, as it should be.

The Left is despicable, and the Trump phenomenon is what we have needed for a long time to reveal the truth. Unfortunately it was Trump who had to do it...

Last edited by Southpaw2012; 05-14-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:28 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Honestly, I don't give a damn what people think about Ivanka. I don't even know whether or not I agree with the opinion piece. I think a lot of it is based on her father, as anyone connected to Donald Trump is automatically an enemy of the Left. My issue, which I explain, is the double standards. You know as well as I do, or if you don't you're turning a blind eye to it, that people in the mainstream media would not have dared to attack Michelle Obama, or any one of her children, out of fear of public backlash. Is it because she's black? Probably, as minorities are untouchable in the eyes of the Left, regardless of what happens. But it's honestly ridiculous.
You're reading too much into that article so as to fit your own agenda. It was merely an expression of regret and disappointment in Ivanka. Of a forlorn hope, that she might have been an ally on abortion, on environmental issues, on health care in general (yes, on abortion and birth control, but not just those two). But she has not been an ally on these issues. There is nothing particularly meaningful about this article, nor insightful, nor invective against conservative women. Certainly nothing controversial.

As for Michelle Obama, sure she could be criticized by figures on the left without repercussion. Just as can and could her husband. He did a number of things which we weren't happy with - many of us wanted single payer, many of us wanted no part of his intervention into Libya (similar opposition to his desires to get us embroiled into the civil war in Syria considering the disaster that we had already unleashed in Iraq), many of us (i.e. the Bernie crowd, so not me, but obviously many others on the left) were incensed with his support for free trade deals, many of us also thought that more fight should have been expended towards infrastructure spending. We liked Obama, but he was not perfect. His wife and children aren't even political. Why should it bother anyone if she tries to get kids to eat healthier school lunches? That was her most prominent involvement in his administration.

Quote:
It's like the Alt-Right's recent protest regarding the removal of the Confederate general's statue. It has been all over the news, how horrific it is and how evil southern white nationals are, etc. etc. It certainly was a despicable protest, and I have no problem with people criticizing some of those in the Alt-Right who expound white-supremist beliefs.
I haven't the slightest clue what you are talking about here, and I watch and read quite a bit of news. Mind you, I don't watch Fox, nor read Stormfront or Infowars.

Quote:
That being said, there is very little coverage of the protests on college campuses. You know, the one's that occur on a weekly basis whenever a conservative speaker comes to speak on liberty, limited government, and free markets. Unlike Berkely, and many other campuses where people get harassed and battered, and property gets destroyed, at least the Alt-Right protest was peaceful, as it should be.
Berkeley's decision to protest Ann Coulter was stupid. As was their decision earlier to protest Bill Maher (hardly a conservative, but then they took issue at his rational critiques of Islam). Free speech has to include speech that makes you uncomfortable, makes you think, makes you expand your way of thinking, or else you are an enemy of free speech. Being respectful and polite is important, but insisting upon a purity and a uniformity of speech is both idiotic and harmful. That said, the protests that got out of control both at Berkeley and in Portland more recently were anarchists that came looking to make trouble. The vast majority of the student protesters (and in the case of Portland, the pre-arranged protest) were peaceful. The anarchists who came and ruined the protest, and acted like, as one would expect of anarchists, destructive as*holes, were not progressives, were not conservatives, they were anarchists just looking to make trouble, to burn and break things. Much the same phenomenon could be seen in the BLM protests, especially in the immediate aftermath of Ferguson, and especially right there in Missouri. Most of those protesters were peaceful. But some weren't coming to protest, some were coming to make trouble.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
All right, I am willing to learn more about those double standards we supposedly have. Please tell me: how often did Obama's children promote their own commercial clothing line while also being formally employed at the White House?
Old 05-15-2017, 08:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:

Closed Thread