art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 10:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Let's not ignore Comey's bizarre end-of-investigation speech on Clinton, announcing there was nothing there to prosecute but denouncing her anyway. Except for the absurdity of Trump suddenly using it as an excuse to fire him, that totally seems like a fireable offence.
That's what I was referencing when I said "attention whore". That was massively inappropriate for anyone at the FBI to do since the FBI merely recommends charges, they don't make them. That's the US Attorney's job to actually charge someone or make a statement on such charges.

Comey should have left it at "The FBI will not be recommending any charges to the US Attorney as there is no evidence of criminal misconduct and we have no further comment on the matter".

Of course, moron also shouldn't have set up a private email server in her basement like a fucking idiot but that's beside the point.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 05-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Four more years. Four more years of this, or as near as makes no difference.

But do we need a new thread for that, or will this one last the whole of Trump's presidency?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
But do we need a new thread for that, or will this one last the whole of Trump's presidency?
I read that a Representative from Texas used the "I" word on the floor of congress today. It's no where near the end, but it seems like a milestone.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Interesting comment here from McCain:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCain
Watergate took months. This thing seems to be taking hours.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:46 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
I read that a Representative from Texas used the "I" word on the floor of congress today. It's no where near the end, but it seems like a milestone.
Democrat...

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/de...rticle/2623333

Once republicans (and more than just Susan Collins, McCain, and Graham) start using that word, then, maybe. I brought up the numbers on Nixon earlier though to stress this point, even with Nixon, very few republicans were joining the dems. The dems just didn't need any republicans. At least in the House. The senate? Could they have gotten to 67 votes on Nixon? Could they on Trump? Nixon was arguably less of a liability for his republicans than is Trump for his current crop. So not completely implausible, considering that most would almost certainly prefer Pence anyway.

This likely comes down to the Judiciary Committee again. Dems controlled it with Nixon. Would enough republicans on that committee side with the dems so that this could even go to the full House? I still have a hard time seeing this ever getting 67 votes in the senate. NIxon resigned before it got anywhere near that far. Trump seems more like a burn the whole house down and going down swinging type of guy.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Interesting comment here from McCain:
Watergate Key Dates:

June 17, 1972 - Break In of Dem HQ occurs
June 20, 1972 - Bob Woodward publishes short story mentioning E. Howard Hunt connection to burglars
June 23, 1972 - Nixon begins cover up per WH tapes
Sept 15, 1972 - First indictments of Nixon associates and burglars issued
Jan 8, 1973 - Defendants all plead guilty
Apr 6, 1973 - White House counsel flips on Nixon and begins cooperation with prosecutors
Apr 27-30 1973 - Multiple resignations of WH senior staff occur
May 17, 1973 - Congressional Watergate Hearings begin
May 19, 1973 - Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox appointed
July 13, 1973 - Existence of WH taping is revealed to Congress
July 18, 1973 - Nixon disconnects taping system
July 23, 1973 - Nixon refuses to turn over tapes
Oct 20, 1973 - Special Prosecutor fired...aka Saturday Night Massacre occurs
March 1974 - multiple new indictments issued, Nixon named as unindicted co-conspirator
Apr 1974 - WH releases transcripts of tapes
May 9, 1974 - House begins Impeachment proceedings
July 24, 1974 - SCOTUS rules unanimously that WH must release full tapes
July 27-30 1974 - Judiary Committee passes articles of impeachment
Aug 5, 1974 - "Smoking Gun" tape revealed where Nixon is on record covering up break-in
Aug 7, 1974 - Sen Goldwater and Sen Scott along with Congressman Rhodes (GOP leadership in House and Senate) meet with Nixon, tell him Impeachment articles will 100% pass the House and only 15 Senators support him in the Senate meaning he will certainly be impeached and convicted
Aug 8, 1974 - Nixon announces resignation
Aug 9, 1974 - Nixon resignation becomes official, Ford sworn in as President
Sep 8, 1974 - Ford pardons Nixon officially ending scandal

Total time elapsed: 782 days (2 years, 1 month, 21 days)

So, yeah...things move faster in a digital age when the person in question is also a complete moron unlike Nixon who was brilliant but evil.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Last edited by Davian93; 05-17-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:52 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Democrat...

Once republicans (and more than just Susan Collins, McCain, and Graham) start using that word, then, maybe. I brought up the numbers on Nixon earlier though to stress this point, even with Nixon, very few republicans were joining the dems. The dems just didn't need any republicans. At least in the House. The senate? Could they have gotten to 67 votes on Nixon? Could they on Trump? Nixon was arguably less of a liability for his republicans than is Trump for his current crop. So not completely implausible, considering that most would almost certainly prefer Pence anyway.
The Whip count on the eve of resignation was 85-15 for conviction. The Senate breakdown in August 1974 was 57 Democrats, 41 Republicans, 1 Conservative (Caucused with GOP), 1 Independent (Caucused with Dems)

Basically a 58-42 split before Rockefeller became VP with Ford...so at least 27 GOP senators were going to vote against Nixon.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:01 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post

Total time elapsed: 782 days (2 years, 1 month, 21 days)

So, yeah...things move faster in a digital age when the person in question is also a complete moron unlike Nixon who was brilliant but evil.
Depending on what you take as the starting point for this scandal we are already nearing a full year. The wikileaks/russia breach/distribution of the Hillary's emails were from July 4th of 2016, the DNC emails were on July 22nd, Podesta's from October. If you backdate from Flynn's RT gala in Moscow then we are back Dec of 2015. If from Manafort, he joined Trump's campaign in March of '15, and took over as campaign chair in April.

So this has already been arguably unfolding for at least a year. What I still really want subpoenaed are all of Trump's tax filings, and all of his business holdings, especially those in Russia or former Soviet republics, and I want to know how much debt he owes to various Russian banks and individuals.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Depending on what you take as the starting point for this scandal we are already nearing a full year. The wikileaks/russia breach/distribution of the Hillary's emails were from July 4th of 2016, the DNC emails were on July 22nd, Podesta's from October. If you backdate from Flynn's RT gala in Moscow then we are back Dec of 2015. If from Manafort, he joined Trump's campaign in March of '15, and took over as campaign chair in April.

So this has already been arguably unfolding for at least a year. What I still really want subpoenaed are all of Trump's tax filings, and all of his business holdings, especially those in Russia or former Soviet republics, and I want to know how much debt he owes to various Russian banks and individuals.
To be fair to Nixon, the "White House Plumbers", Nixon's wet work group, basically started in July 1971 after the Pentagon Papers leaked...The arrest & break-in was their final idiotic act.

Their official mission was to "stop the leaking of classified information" because all the anti-war leaks were making Nixon look bad. Apparently waging an illegal war and bombing neutral countries isn't popular for some reason and Nixon felt the Leaks were the real issue to be concerned with, not the actions his Administration was taking in that war.

Does any of this sound familiar?

Old 05-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
That's what I was referencing when I said "attention whore". That was massively inappropriate for anyone at the FBI to do since the FBI merely recommends charges, they don't make them. That's the US Attorney's job to actually charge someone or make a statement on such charges.

Comey should have left it at "The FBI will not be recommending any charges to the US Attorney as there is no evidence of criminal misconduct and we have no further comment on the matter".
It was clearly more than just an attention grab. If you remember when theHuma Abedin email shit came up a week before the election, there was a lot of reporting about how a large number of conservative FBI agents pressured Comey, and he caved. A lot of that also went into his decision to reprimand Clinton the first time.

Quote:
Of course, moron also shouldn't have set up a private email server in her basement like a fucking idiot but that's beside the point.
Very much not. Politicians being idiots is no business of the FBI unless they break the law.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:03 PM
Ancient

This is a significant development.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rober...ry?id=47472673

Quote:
The United States Department of Justice has announced that a special counsel has been appointed to investigate Russian interference into last year's presidential election.

Former FBI Director Robert Mueller was assigned by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein to "oversee the previously-confirmed FBI investigation of Russian government efforts to influence the 2016 presidential election, and related matters."

In a statement, Rosenstein said, "My decision is not a finding that crimes have been committed or that any prosecution is warranted. I have made no such determination. What I have determined is that based upon the unique circumstances, the public interest requires me to place this investigation under the authority of a person who exercises a degree of independence from the normal chain of command."

Mueller will have 60 days to put together a budget for resources to conduct the investigation and that budget must be approved by Rosenstein. Attorney General Jeff Sessions previously recused himself from all matters related to the presidential campaign.

"Special Counsel Mueller will have all appropriate resources to conduct a thorough and complete investigation, and I am confident that he will follow the facts, apply the law and reach a just result," said Rosenstein in the statement.
Mueller was an ex-FBI Chief under Bush and Obama. Seemed pretty decent, and non-partisan too.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sad that the Kevin McCarthy story looks like it's gonna get buried under that.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:12 PM
Ancient

Quote:
I'm sad that the Kevin McCarthy story looks like it's gonna get buried under that.
McCarthy mentioned Rohrabacher too...

Quote:
KIEV —A month before Donald Trump clinched the Republican nomination, one of his closest allies in Congress — House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy — made a politically explosive assertion in a private conversation on Capitol Hill with his fellow GOP leaders: that Trump could be the beneficiary of payments from Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) said, according to a recording of the June 15, 2016 exchange, which was listened to and verified by The Washington Post. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is a Californian Republican known in Congress as a fervent defender of Putin and Russia.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) immediately interjected, stopping the conversation from further exploring McCarthy’s assertion, and swore the Republicans present to secrecy.
Have to say this about Trump, never a dull news day.

This bit further down in the article is great:
Quote:
When initially asked to comment on the exchange, Brendan Buck, a spokesman for Ryan, said: “That never happened,” and Matt Sparks, a spokesman for McCarthy, said: “The idea that McCarthy would assert this is absurd and false.”

After being told that The Post would cite a recording of the exchange, Buck, speaking for the GOP House leadership, said: “This entire year-old exchange was clearly an attempt at humor. No one believed the majority leader was seriously asserting that Donald Trump or any of our members were being paid by the Russians. What’s more, the speaker and leadership team have repeatedly spoken out against Russia’s interference in our election, and the House continues to investigate that activity.”

“This was a failed attempt at humor,” Sparks said.

Last edited by Kimon; 05-17-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sure we admitted the criminal act to tape but we were just kidding.

We cool???

Old 05-17-2017, 05:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
“This was a failed attempt at humor,” Sparks said.
But everyone laughed...

PS: Also significant. (The linked tweet is the reporter who talked to him.)
Old 05-17-2017, 05:42 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

I don't think the McCarthy thing is going to be buried Terez. There's a tape, House Republican bigwigs, and allegations of Putin paying Trump, and attempts to keep the allegation quiet.

It fits nicely with the new Special Prosecutor. Dems would be idiots not to capitalize on this and ask for an independent Select Committee too. After all, if House leadership knew and kept quiet, why believe they'll be impartial in any inquiry? Now there's audio evidence to prove that.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
I don't think the McCarthy thing is going to be buried Terez.
The Special Counsel is all they're talking about on cable news, but Twitter at least is talking about McCarthy.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Confirmation that the Trump team knew Flynn was under federal investigation before Trump was sworn in:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/u...y-adviser.html
Old 05-17-2017, 08:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Confirmation that the Trump team knew Flynn was under federal investigation before Trump was sworn in:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/u...y-adviser.html
And another body blow to the champ...

Old 05-17-2017, 10:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Democrat...

This likely comes down to the Judiciary Committee again. Dems controlled it with Nixon. Would enough republicans on that committee side with the dems so that this could even go to the full House? I still have a hard time seeing this ever getting 67 votes in the senate. NIxon resigned before it got anywhere near that far. Trump seems more like a burn the whole house down and going down swinging type of guy.
I know, but still, someone said it. That's the pebble. It'll be a while before the rocks start to move, but it's a start.