art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 03:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

NYT op-ed from February:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/o...onnection.html

Quote:
Suspect public comments like these led one senior Republican leader to dolefully inform his peers that he thought Mr. Trump was on the Kremlin’s payroll, suggesting that Mr. Trump had been compromised by Russian intelligence. Other leaders were surprised by their colleague’s frank assessment, but did not dispute it.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Other Happy News: Rogers Ailes Dead at Age 77

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 05-18-2017, 12:59 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the urging by his advisors and lawyers to shut up and stay off twitter could only last for a day...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39965107

Quote:
US President Donald Trump has lashed out at the decision to appoint a special counsel to oversee the inquiry into Russian influence on his election.
"This is the single greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history," he tweeted on Thursday morning.
Quote:
"With all of the illegal acts that took place in the Clinton campaign and the Obama Administration, there was never a special councel [sic] appointed," he tweeted on Thursday.
Unfortunately, Trump likely actually believes this nonsense, and as any conversation with Southpaw should make clear, so too do most Trump supporters. That probably doesn't change unless both Fox and Breitbart decide to turn on Trump.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I love that we have a President that consistently misspells basic words when he's tweeting. Because he literally cannot spell and is a complete idiot.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 05-18-2017, 01:52 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
I love that we have a President that consistently misspells basic words when he's tweeting. Because he literally cannot spell and is a complete idiot.
BBC has an article with amused historians pointing to various figures in history more mistreated than Trump:

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-39961362

A few notable examples...

A few new examples come to mind immediately:

-Themistokles and Kimon (i.e. as in my profile picture): ostracized for the high crimes of doing too good a job saving the Athens from the Persians.

-Julian the Apostate: assassinated (probably) by the bishops for trying to stop the descent into the Dark Ages.

-Joan of Arc: probably was schizophrenic, but literally burned at the stake as a witch.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post

A few new examples come to mind immediately:

-Themistokles and Kimon (i.e. as in my profile picture): ostracized for the high crimes of doing too good a job saving the Athens from the Persians.

-Julian the Apostate: assassinated (probably) by the bishops for trying to stop the descent into the Dark Ages.

-Joan of Arc: probably was schizophrenic, but literally burned at the stake as a witch.
I hate to defend the guy- but in fairness he did say "American history".

“I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you.” ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 05-18-2017, 03:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
The 4 Presidents who were assassinated come to mind...

Old 05-18-2017, 03:21 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

David Frum has an interesting point about how the appointment of a Special Counsel can be used to shunt aside responsibility for all sorts of act that may not be easily defined as illegal:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...owe-it/527187/

Quote:
The appointment of Robert Mueller as special counsel in the Trump-Russia matter will spell vexation in the medium term and may spell danger in the long term. But in the here and now—the next days and weeks, easing into months—the appointment brings relief.

Republicans in Congress have gained a new excuse to revert to their prior enabling of Trump’s misconduct: A special counsel has been appointed!

Instead of defiantly lying, the White House staff can now refuse to answer questions outright: A special counsel has been appointed!

Fundamental questions of national security and public integrity will go unexplored as the special counsel focuses on narrow legal matters. The public debate will be starved of new information as the special counsel proceeds in legally required secrecy.
So it is good to see the Dems are still demanding an independent Congressional investigation. Doubt it'll go anywhere unless even more leaks come, though.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The 4 Presidents who were assassinated come to mind...
And Bill Clinton, what he was impeached for was always a joke, and even more so compared to what the concerns are now around Trump.

“I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you.” ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 PM
Ancient

Quote:
And Bill Clinton, what he was impeached for was always a joke, and even more so compared to what the concerns are now around Trump.
Taft comes to mind too. Even leaving aside the infamous tub story, he was also pretty thoroughly betrayed by Teddy Roosevelt even though he mostly maintained Teddy's policies after being hand-picked as Teddy's intended successor. That betrayal thus has a tendency to seem far more a simple matter of regret, Teddy never should have pledged to not run for a second term (when he decided, to his later regret, to consider his continuation of McKinley's presidency his own first term), and then clearly was bored once he left office.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Taft comes to mind too. Even leaving aside the infamous tub story, he was also pretty thoroughly betrayed by Teddy Roosevelt even though he mostly maintained Teddy's policies after being hand-picked as Teddy's intended successor. That betrayal thus has a tendency to seem far more a simple matter of regret, Teddy never should have pledged to not run for a second term (when he decided, to his later regret, to consider his continuation of McKinley's presidency his own first term), and then clearly was bored once he left office.
Taft was a pretty mediocre president though...so there's that. And the splitting of the ticket did give us a pacifist in Wilson in the run up to the First World War. Had Teddy been in office, I could see us entering the war much earlier than 1917 which would have been a mistake.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Piece of Human Garbage Joe Lieberman said to be the next FBI Director.

Maybe him and his buddy McCain can hang out again now. He's 75 too so I don't see him doing a full 10 year term.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:49 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Piece of Human Garbage Joe Lieberman said to be the next FBI Director.

Maybe him and his buddy McCain can hang out again now. He's 75 too so I don't see him doing a full 10 year term.
Lieberman isn't ideal, but then the only mentioned candidate that most of us would have been fine with was McCabe, and that clearly was unlikely to happen. Better Lieberman than Cornyn (His name being prominently mentioned always struck me very odd - the idea of leaving the senate for FBI Director strikes me as odd, though I suppose it could be considered a lateral move, or even a slight promotion. Cornyn probably would have been worst case scenario.) or Rogers, or, even worse, someone like Giuliani or Christie. Those last two would have guaranteed an extremely fractious confirmation vote, and perhaps have had at least a few republicans (the usual suspects) voting with the opposition.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Lieberman is a bullshit appointment because it'll be spun as "see, he's a Democrat, see how inclusive I am!!!" when in reality Lieberman has basically been a member of the GOP in all but name since at least 2008 when he almost became McCain's VP pick.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, to be fair to the historians: Trump tweeted that, but as far as I know he said it first without the caveat you mention.

But if you want an example from American history, then there's this one, though one can quibble over whether or not it was deserved. It may be that Trump and I would be on different sides of that particular argument.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Trump is the biggest moron the Oval Office has ever known

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/u...sia-comey.html

It's all downhill from here, folks. This is also important but seems like a side story at this point:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...b69_story.html
Old 05-19-2017, 02:35 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Trump is the biggest moron the Oval Office has ever known

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/u...sia-comey.html

It's all downhill from here, folks. This is also important but seems like a side story at this point:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...b69_story.html
Are you also watching CNN?

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump told Russian officials in the Oval Office this month that firing the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, had relieved “great pressure” on him, according to a document summarizing the meeting.

“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”

Mr. Trump added, “I’m not under investigation.”

The conversation, during a May 10 meeting — the day after he fired Mr. Comey — reinforces the notion that Mr. Trump dismissed him primarily because of the bureau’s investigation into possible collusion between his campaign and Russian operatives. Mr. Trump said as much in one televised interview, but the White House has offered changing justifications for the firing.

The White House document that contained Mr. Trump’s comments was based on notes taken from inside the Oval Office and has been circulated as the official account of the meeting. One official read quotations to The Times, and a second official confirmed the broad outlines of the discussion.
I'm beginning to think that Pence might well be president before the midterm elections in '18. At some point republicans will begin using resignation as the carrot...
Old 05-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Are you also watching CNN?
No. Just watching journo Twitter.

Quote:
I'm beginning to think that Pence might well be president before the midterm elections in '18. At some point republicans will begin using resignation as the carrot...
Pence is implicated too, but he started putting out anonymous reports yesterday insisting he was deliberately kept in the dark. It's possible they'll let him get away with that but if not we might be looking at President Orrin Hatch.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
No. Just watching journo Twitter.

Pence is implicated too, but he started putting out anonymous reports yesterday insisting he was deliberately kept in the dark. It's possible they'll let him get away with that but if not we might be looking at President Orrin Hatch.
Paul Ryan would be next in succession after Pence. Speaker comes before senate pres pro tempore. All of those would be awful, but a gun to the head I think I would take Ryan over Trump, Pence, or Hatch. Pence would be like having an older version of Southpaw as president.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:47 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Trump is colorful. I'm going to miss getting up every morning knowing that my WaPo and NYT app notifications on my phone will give me a new Trump controversy every 2 hours. What will I schedule my breaks around, then?
Closed Thread