art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 09:08 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
Oh? So what was it that impressed me more than you?
For one, you seem to take an odd joy in being tedious.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Some sleep deprived not really strung together thoughts :

1. Getting rid of the electoral college altogether is a stupid idea. Sure, Hillary won the popular vote this time with this system, this doesn't mean that she/the dems would have won if the campaigns had been geared at a full popular vote. Also, popular vote pretty much guarantees that the already vitriolic tone of elections gets even worse. It could use an overhaul though.

2. Just because certain people have positive name recognition because they happen to have governed a large country doesn't necessarily mean that they were better statesmen than those governing smaller countries. One cannot really choose one's birth citizenship, ya know

3. I saw a really good article which of course I can't find any more, where the journalist really dived into the what if Bernie angle, but from the Republican campaign point of view. He would have been torn apart. Also, Hillary won the Dems popular vote fair and square, that email thing of the DNC - if you look at the dates on those emails, most of them are from after she'd practically won already but Bernie hadn't conceded yet.

4. Sei is right about the non voters. And the third party - 5% rule. And the fact that Johnson isn't really a libertarian

5. IMHO, what really sunk Hillary's campaign was two things: the media's (and I mean both mainstream and social media) lopsided obsession with her emails while forgetting all about Trumps many many many scandals and shortcomings; and Comey. And possibly Russian hackers although that can probably never be proven to full satisfaction.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 11-15-2016, 10:49 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
Some sleep deprived not really strung together thoughts :

4. Sei is right about the non voters. And the third party - 5% rule. And the fact that Johnson isn't really a libertarian
3 rights!! baBAM!!!

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 11-15-2016, 11:10 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
1. Getting rid of the electoral college altogether is a stupid idea. Sure, Hillary won the popular vote this time with this system, this doesn't mean that she/the dems would have won if the campaigns had been geared at a full popular vote. Also, popular vote pretty much guarantees that the already vitriolic tone of elections gets even worse. It could use an overhaul though.
Yeah, the electoral college is far less of an issue than campaign finance reform and gerrymandering. It would mostly just shift who is inundated with an unending string of annoying political ads. The only real problem with the electoral college is that the same rules don't apply in every state. They should all be all or nothing, or all proportional. The odd setup in Maine and Nebraska should not be legal, if only in that they create a dangerous precedent.

Quote:
2. Just because certain people have positive name recognition because they happen to have governed a large country doesn't necessarily mean that they were better statesmen than those governing smaller countries. One cannot really choose one's birth citizenship, ya know
I'll admit to being more than just a bit salty, not only due to Hillary's defeat, but also Michigan losing to Iowa. Pretty much the only icing on this crappy autumn had been the Wolverines, so as John Oliver suggested on Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MtAaJJdzGA
Old 11-16-2016, 12:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
For one, you seem to take an odd joy in being tedious.
How does that imply me being impressed? Normally it's me being bored. Pretty much the opposite of being impressed.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 11-16-2016, 12:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
I saw a really good article which of course I can't find any more, where the journalist really dived into the what if Bernie angle, but from the Republican campaign point of view. He would have been torn apart.
I believe I saw the same article. It really doesn't matter how much he would have been "torn apart", though; Trump was a terrible candidate who was "torn apart" daily and it didn't stop him from winning. Bernie's advantage was his appeal to liberal-leaning folks who don't always vote. Hillary had the people who always vote Democrat...but Bernie would have had those voters too.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:21 AM
Ancient

Quote:
How does that imply me being impressed? Normally it's me being bored. Pretty much the opposite of being impressed.
I do have a tendency to be somewhat passive aggressive, but the pertinent implication should be obvious.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:39 AM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I believe I saw the same article. It really doesn't matter how much he would have been "torn apart", though; Trump was a terrible candidate who was "torn apart" daily and it didn't stop him from winning. Bernie's advantage was his appeal to liberal-leaning folks who don't always vote.
I do think he would have benefited from his more conservative stance on the 2nd Amendment, and his much clearer antagonism towards NAFTA and other free trade agreements. Those are two (of the many) things that I didn't like about him, but it would have helped him in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

Quote:
Hillary had the people who always vote Democrat...but Bernie would have had those voters too.
I actually disagree with this one. Hillary seemed to have trouble appealing to two groups - young voters, who do tend to be pretty idealistic and liberal, and blue-collar white voters that normally lean democrat. That latter group can be liberal, but often can be conservative - Reagan democrats. Losing these voters is why she lost Macomb County in Michigan, and why she lost Ohio. Bernie's anti-trade and more pro-gun stances would have helped hold those voters, albeit helped him lose the support of voters like me (well that and especially his free college demagoguery).
Old 11-16-2016, 07:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do think he would have benefited from his more conservative stance on the 2nd Amendment, and his much clearer antagonism towards NAFTA and other free trade agreements. Those are two (of the many) things that I didn't like about him, but it would have helped him in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.
I wasn't even talking about that; I was talking about his appeal to progressives who usually don't bother voting because there's no progressive candidate running. People who are borderline apathetic about politics. Those people came out in huge numbers for Bernie in the primaries, but they were outnumbered by the "pragmatic" voters in the end.

Bernie's crossover appeal was another thing altogether.

Quote:
I actually disagree with this one. Hillary seemed to have trouble appealing to two groups - young voters, who do tend to be pretty idealistic and liberal, and blue-collar white voters that normally lean democrat. That latter group can be liberal, but often can be conservative - Reagan democrats. Losing these voters is why she lost Macomb County in Michigan, and why she lost Ohio. Bernie's anti-trade and more pro-gun stances would have helped hold those voters, albeit helped him lose the support of voters like me (well that and especially his free college demagoguery).
Would you have really voted for Trump over Bernie? I really doubt that many would have; dependable Democratic voters are just that: dependable, party-line voters who will vote against the Republican even if they don't like the Democrat.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:14 AM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Would you have really voted for Trump over Bernie? I really doubt that many would have; dependable Democratic voters are just that: dependable, party-line voters who will vote against the Republican even if they don't like the Democrat.
Of course not. I've never voted for Republican, and do not foresee, unless they change drastically, ever doing so. I don't like Bernie, I do not think he would be a good president. I think his policies are stupid and dangerous. But better than Trump? Obviously. Better for the future of the Court in terms of his presumed appointments? Obviously.

If the Bernie voters that voted for Trump, Johnson, Stein, or write-ins really think that Hillary is just as bad as Trump, that's one thing. But if they think he's a disaster, and that Hillary would be just like Obama, unless they would have also been unwilling to vote for Obama, I just don't get why so many were unwilling to vote for Hillary, unless out of spite.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do have a tendency to be somewhat passive aggressive, but the pertinent implication should be obvious.
If you have one or more specific case where you believed me to be impressed state them. Now you are just being vague.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 11-16-2016, 08:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If the Bernie voters that voted for Trump, Johnson, Stein, or write-ins really think that Hillary is just as bad as Trump, that's one thing. But if they think he's a disaster, and that Hillary would be just like Obama, unless they would have also been unwilling to vote for Obama, I just don't get why so many were unwilling to vote for Hillary, unless out of spite.
Some of them probably wouldn't have voted for Obama either, though they would have voted for Sanders. Others may have thought that Clinton was worse than Obama, and may have decided on that ground that not voting this time was the most valid available option.

Clinton is similar to Obama, but she isn't the same. For instance, she voted in favour of the Iraq war, while Obama was opposed to it.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Clinton is similar to Obama, but she isn't the same. For instance, she voted in favour of the Iraq war, while Obama was opposed to it.
This is why I voted for Obama rather than Hillary in '08, but keep in mind, Obama wasn't elected to the Senate until 2005, and that vote occured in 2002. Much easier to take the stance that he did when his opposition was meaningless. Moreover, both of his secretaries of state, Hillary and John Kerry, voted for the resolution, as did his VP, Joe Biden.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:58 AM
Ancient

Quote:
If you have one or more specific case where you believed me to be impressed state them. Now you are just being vague.
If you still can't figure it out, it only reinforces my opinion.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
If you still can't figure it out, it only reinforces my opinion.
You think I was impressed by something and it should be obvious to me what it was and when this happened? I'm seriously lost here. Is it that you don't understand the word "impressed"? I don't know the details of your opinion so how should I know if I prefer you to keep it? I don't actually live inside your head you know.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 11-16-2016, 10:48 AM
Ancient

Quote:
You think I was impressed by something and it should be obvious to me what it was and when this happened? I'm seriously lost here. Is it that you don't understand the word "impressed"? I don't know the details of your opinion so how should I know if I prefer you to keep it? I don't actually live inside your head you know.
I've been as blunt as I'm willing to be. There are enough context clues for you to figure it out. And if you still can't, that too would be rather on topic...
Old 11-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Of course not. I've never voted for Republican, and do not foresee, unless they change drastically, ever doing so. I don't like Bernie, I do not think he would be a good president. I think his policies are stupid and dangerous. But better than Trump? Obviously. Better for the future of the Court in terms of his presumed appointments? Obviously.
That's all I'm saying. Hillary voters were more likely to vote for the Democratic nominee no matter what. Bernie voters, on the other hand, were generally not so loyal to the Democratic party. That's extremely pertinent when it comes to the general election calculus. It's why Bernie was more likely to win, and would have remained more likely to win even if he'd been "torn apart" in the general.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I've been as blunt as I'm willing to be. There are enough context clues for you to figure it out. And if you still can't, that too would be rather on topic...
As blunt as you are willing to be? Well then I suppose you don't really care if what you believe is actually true. Somewhat ironic as that behaviour is really the core of why the election turned out as it did and you have a hard time seeing it. You just don't have the humility for true wisdom. Such a waste.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 11-16-2016, 11:11 AM
Ancient

Quote:
As blunt as you are willing to be? Well then I suppose you don't really care if what you believe is actually true. Somewhat ironic as that behaviour is really the core of why the election turned out as it did and you have a hard time seeing it. You just don't have the humility for true wisdom. Such a waste.
This is amusingly ironic. You've stumbled, by accident, upon the point I was making. It is something you have done quite often, as I hinted, in previous interactions. Something which clearly does not impress me...
Old 11-16-2016, 11:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Trump refuses a salary as President...that's basically Step #1 of "How to be a Populist Demagogue". When do the roundups and purges begin? He's already cleared out the Christie supporters in the Night of the Long Steak Knives...soon enough, it'll be some other group of undesirables.

Maybe he'll go all Stalinist on us and start photoshopping Christie out of old campaign photos. I hope for Christie's sake, he doesn't move to Mexico City...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Closed Thread