art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 01:07 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
If he hadn't done anything wrong, then he wouldn't have anything to hide, would he?
At least, that's what all those law and order folks always keep saying, and seeing as how he is one of them he should believe that.
He definitely did something wrong, just not necessarily crimes that could help in bringing down Trump - i.e. he seems possibly guilty of perjury and definitely guilty of failure to disclose business ties to Russia and Turkey that were required to be disclosed for maintaining his security clearance for working in the White House and becoming the Natl Security Advisor.

That at minimum is why he wants immunity, as protection against self-incrimination on those comparatively lesser charges. But in petitioning for immunity, he would need to give off the record background on what he knows, if all it is is those possible perjury and suspicious business ties that he failed to disclose, then there is no reason to give him immunity. Of course, if that is all he has, why would Trump continue to protect him, continue to attempt to maintain friendly and loyal relations with the man. It creates the impression that Flynn has more. That he has information that could potentially lead to Trump himself.

So, if Flynn ever does get immunity, it almost certainly means that he has decided to give them Trump in exchange for leniency on his own charges. Maybe all that means is that he has knowledge of Trump accepting money directly from Russia, both via Putin and via other oligarchs. Maybe even something worse than that.

Hard to imagine Flynn getting immunity unless he can give them someone else higher up the food chain. But the mere fact that he is asking for immunity isn't evidence of anything necessarily more than his obvious guilt on those already known, but less exciting, charges.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:38 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
But the mere fact that he is asking for immunity isn't evidence of anything necessarily more than his obvious guilt on those already known, but less exciting, charges.
You would know better than I would, but I also had suspected that he's got some other (probably non-Trump related) shit in his background he wants immunity for. If they figure out he sold nuclear launch codes or something else really damning, he'll want immunity. Half the reason people don't like these special prosecutors is because their mandate can be so open ended that they find wrongdoing totally unrelated to the scandal at hand.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
You would know better than I would, but I also had suspected that he's got some other (probably non-Trump related) shit in his background he wants immunity for. If they figure out he sold nuclear launch codes or something else really damning, he'll want immunity. Half the reason people don't like these special prosecutors is because their mandate can be so open ended that they find wrongdoing totally unrelated to the scandal at hand.
See: Lewinsky, Monica...

Came out of the Whitewater Special Prosecutor. Whitewater was complete BS and a baseless attempt to smear the President but it did disclose his propensity for banging interns in the Oval Office so thankfully the GOP saved us from that travesty...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 05-22-2017, 05:42 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
See: Lewinsky, Monica...

Came out of the Whitewater Special Prosecutor. Whitewater was complete BS and a baseless attempt to smear the President but it did disclose his propensity for banging interns in the Oval Office so thankfully the GOP saved us from that travesty...
Heck, just think about how much the process of appointing a special counsel has changed since, and indeed because of, Ken Starr. Ken was not the initial special counsel for Whitewater, Janet Reno (the then Attorney General) at first appointed Robert Fiske. Fiske was also a republican prosecutor, but a moderate republican (and moderate even by those more halcyon standards of the 90s before the Party of Lincoln completed its conversion to the Party of Jefferson Davis). Presumably they (the Clinton Administration) all thought that since Whitewater was a complete non-scandal, that they could safely appoint a republican, and thus make abundantly clear that the investigation was completely nonpartisan.

But then in '94 the Ethics in Govt Act was reauthorized, and a three-panel circuit from the DC Circuit decided to replace Fiske, arguing that the mere fact that Fiske, even though he was a republican, had been appointed by Reno, i.e. by the Clinton Administration, made his appointment a conflict of interest. And so he was replaced with a man whom no one could confuse for a Clinton ally, Ken Starr. And thus the witch-hunt began.

And because of the overt nature of the miscarriage of justice set in motion by Ken Starr (Just keep in mind, once Ken Starr, due to his clear obstruction of justice in the Baylor football rape cover-up, finally joins all his other colleagues, soon nearly all the republicans inquisitors involved in that abortion of justice will either be, or have served in jail, while not by hook or by crook could they invent any real charge against Bill.) the law was changed with bipartisan support, so that now it is just the president or his attorney general that appoint the special counsel, not an independent panel of judges.

So, but for the fact that Sessions perjured himself in his senate confirmation hearing, Jeff Sessions likely would have appointed some yes-man. And but for the fact that Trump and his cronies tried to throw Rosenstein under the bus on the Comey firing, Rosenstein likely would have appointed someone only slightly less corrupt than Klanman Jeff would have. So Trump has, yet again, only himself to blame for the fact that he is stuck with a respected nonpartisan man like Mueller instead of some corrupt flunkie investigating his possible treason.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:01 PM
Ancient

Trump clearly has scared the crap out of the intel community.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.73b475d372c4

Quote:
President Trump asked two of the nation’s top intelligence officials in March to help him push back against an FBI investigation into possible coordination between his campaign and the Russian government, according to current and former officials.

Trump made separate appeals to the director of national intelligence, Daniel Coats, and to Adm. Michael S. Rogers, the director of the National Security Agency, urging them to publicly deny the existence of any evidence of collusion during the 2016 election.

Coats and Rogers refused to comply with the requests, which they both deemed to be inappropriate, according to two current and two former officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private communications with the president.
Quote:
Trump’s conversation with Rogers was documented contemporaneously in an internal memo written by a senior NSA official, according to the officials. It is unclear if a similar memo was prepared by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence to document Trump’s conversation with Coats. Officials said such memos could be made available to both the special counsel now overseeing the Russia investigation and congressional investigators, who might explore whether Trump sought to impede the FBI’s work.
Quote:
Current and former senior intelligence officials viewed Trump’s requests as an attempt by the president to tarnish the credibility of the agency leading the Russia investigation.

A senior intelligence official said that Trump’s goal was to “muddy the waters” about the scope of the FBI probe at a time when Democrats were ramping up their calls for the Justice Department to appoint a special counsel, a step announced last week.

Senior intelligence officials also saw the March requests as a threat to the independence of U.S. spy agencies, which are supposed to remain insulated from partisan issues.

“The problem wasn’t so much asking them to issue statements, it was asking them to issue false statements about an ongoing investigation,” a former senior intelligence official said of the request to Coats.
And the WH is tacitly admitting the veracity of this report.

Quote:
“The White House does not confirm or deny unsubstantiated claims based on illegal leaks from anonymous individuals,” a White House spokesperson said. “The president will continue to focus on his agenda that he was elected to pursue by the American people.”
Old 05-22-2017, 07:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't even moderately surprise me.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
That's the difference though, you'll never see leftist freaks like Kimon and me post a Slate article or a Palmer Report article and go "SEE, YOU STUPID CONSERVATIVES ARE DUMB!!!" like he tends to do.
I'm curious... do you think the entirety of Slate is useless? Because while they do have some left-leaning opinion articles that make me leery, the majority of their work is well sourced. They are without doubt a left-leaning news-source, but they don't even descend to Fox-level playing with the truth, let alone the other "news" sources you mentioned. Do you mean Salon, by any chance?
Old 05-22-2017, 08:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
I'm curious... do you think the entirety of Slate is useless? Because while they do have some left-leaning opinion articles that make me leery, the majority of their work is well sourced. They are without doubt a left-leaning news-source, but they don't even descend to Fox-level playing with the truth, let alone the other "news" sources you mentioned. Do you mean Salon, by any chance?
Yeah, I meant Salon, not Slate. Slate leans left but its at least sourced well. Salon is garbage.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:05 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Trump clearly has scared the crap out of the intel community.
And let us all be thankful that their response was fear, and not immediate acquiescence. A few more years under Trump, and I wonder if this kind of independence would have survived.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:06 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Yeah, I meant Salon, not Slate. Slate leans left but its at least sourced well. Salon is garbage.
Fake news! Couldn't evon got his leftiy sfources right. Sad!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
And let us all be thankful that their response was fear, and not immediate acquiescence. A few more years under Trump, and I wonder if this kind of independence would have survived.
Give it time...soon enough he will have his own people in those spots...and we can start hunting for Yellow Cake again.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
They're both garbage. I used to follow them both on social media and I got tired of the clickbait bullshit.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
They're both garbage. I used to follow them both on social media and I got tired of the clickbait bullshit.
Slate is a tad better than Salon. I will completely agree that both only post complete clickbait crap on twitter.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Youngling

I find the twitter share-lists of most sites to be crap. I just do the rounds of the homepage.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:07 PM
Youngling

http://www.theonion.com/trumpdocuments

The most critical leaked documents ever released. Deep throat ain't got nothing.
Closed Thread