art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): uausnaughbroo,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 06:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Sitting senators have a massive born-in advantage when it comes to campaigning...even in off-year elections.
It really depends on the state. Wisconsin's purple nature is not exactly typical, and that goes for a lot of Midwestern states. The traditional Democrats are union types who vote their pocketbooks. Scott Walker took advantage of the white-man insecurities there and he's been helping to turn the state redder for a long time. I doubt there's a single Democrat who could have done better than Feingold there; he's well loved among core Democrats. He needed a bigger populist push from the party to win again there, and Hillary didn't do it for him.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:59 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
It really depends on the state. Wisconsin's purple nature is not exactly typical, and that goes for a lot of Midwestern states. The traditional Democrats are union types who vote their pocketbooks. Scott Walker took advantage of the white-man insecurities there and he's been helping to turn the state redder for a long time. I doubt there's a single Democrat who could have done better than Feingold there; he's well loved among core Democrats. He needed a bigger populist push from the party to win again there, and Hillary didn't do it for him.
Unions numbers have sharply declined.

https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...-middle-class/

Quote:
Wisconsin was once one of the nation’s most unionized states—but no longer.
In 1983, 23.8 percent of Wisconsin workers were members of a labor union, making Wisconsin the 12th most unionized state in the country.
In 2014, union membership stood at just 11.6 percent of Wisconsin’s working population.
The 2015 passage of a so-called right-to-work law will further weaken the Wisconsin labor movement. The law gives some workers a free ride by allowing them to enjoy the benefits of a union contract, such as higher pay, without paying the cost of negotiating that contract.
Unions in Wisconsin have fallen victim to the same forces that have caused union membership to decline across the country: the decline of heavily unionized sectors such as manufacturing and lax enforcement of federal labor law. Wisconsin has also suffered from a forceful antiunion agenda led by Gov. Scott Walker (R), who signed a law to curtail public sector bargaining in 2011 and the so-called right-to-work law in 2015.
There are still some strong unions that still vote overwhelmingly blue, the most obvious of which is teachers. But you don't tend to have that same uniformity of association from police or fire department unions. Growing up in suburban Michigan I've known many dems and republicans, but aside from teachers, I've known very few union members.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Jeff Sessions as AG...one of the only men ever denied a Senate confirmation hearing as a US District Judge due to his racist viewpoints.

Add in the white nationalist Steve Bannon as a Chief Strategist and Trump is really looking to be the President of "all Americans", eh?

Does Southpaw want to defend this racist filth? I'm guessing he does.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-18-2016, 04:59 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jeff Sessions as AG...one of the only men ever denied a Senate confirmation hearing as a US District Judge due to his racist viewpoints.

Add in the white nationalist Steve Bannon as a Chief Strategist and Trump is really looking to be the President of "all Americans", eh?

At least this is a position that has to be confirmed by the Senate, so there will be the opportunity to revisit all of his racism publicly. I also doubt that democrats will forget just how fractious the confirmation was for Loretta Lynch. There was no just cause for their opposition there, and yet 43 Republicans voted against her. It will be interesting to see what the vote is for Sessions. He is still a senate colleague, which begs the question, will they really vote en masse against him? I would suspect not.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:48 AM
Banned

johnadan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Biti Area online Sports News

SFGATE began in 1994 as one of the first major news websites in history, ushering in a new era in information and interaction with digital news, and even winning a Pulitzer Prize.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Based on what you say, Trump is really a traditionalist who holds the Founding Fathers in high regard. At least, I would assume that Sessions isn't any more racist than those 18th century slave holders managed to be.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Based on what you say, Trump is really a traditionalist who holds the Founding Fathers in high regard. At least, I would assume that Sessions isn't any more racist than those 18th century slave holders managed to be.
Don't be too sure about that. It's true that the slave owners treated other human beings as livestock, but even among them there were people who were kind to their livestock.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 11-19-2016, 05:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Are you suggesting that Trump won't be kind to properly subservient blacks?
Old 11-19-2016, 05:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are you suggesting that Trump won't be kind to properly subservient blacks?
Trump wants every non-white dead, buried and removed from recorded history. Slavery never happened, because there has only ever been one race of humanity.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 11-19-2016, 08:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

Speaking about Trump: he had declared on a number of occasions that the elections were rigged. Did he tell the truth about that?
Old 11-19-2016, 09:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Speaking about Trump: he had declared on a number of occasions that the elections were rigged. Did he tell the truth about that?
Isn't the rig built in? Is it possible to have a fair and square vote with the American system? Would such an election be a counter-rigged election? Rigged from the system's point of view but just from an objective point of view.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 11-19-2016, 10:51 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Honestly, aside from the racism, one of the most annoying things I've seen posted about Trump from his religiously faithful, is their comparing him to Teddy Roosevelt.

I think dear old Teddy would've punched each person in the nose for such a comparison, and then proceeded to get into an all out fight with Trump. About the only thing they would have in common (we can all agree the GOP then is far different than now), is that both are outspoken.

But Teddy had held political office before (Governor of New York and Secretary of the Navy), rather than dodge the draft, Teddy resigned from his political office and enlisted into the army, and Teddy introduced health standards for food.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Honestly, aside from the racism, one of the most annoying things I've seen posted about Trump from his religiously faithful, is their comparing him to Teddy Roosevelt.

I think dear old Teddy would've punched each person in the nose for such a comparison, and then proceeded to get into an all out fight with Trump. About the only thing they would have in common (we can all agree the GOP then is far different than now), is that both are outspoken.

But Teddy had held political office before (Governor of New York and Secretary of the Navy), rather than dodge the draft, Teddy resigned from his political office and enlisted into the army, and Teddy introduced health standards for food.
Teddy would have hunted him for sport and mounted his head on the wall.

Teddy was one of the best presidents we ever had...easily Top 5 at worst and arguably #2 behind his cousin FDR since the year 1900.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 11-21-2016, 02:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...source=copyurl

Argentine President: Congrats on being elected President

Trump: Thanks, BTW, I'm having issues with a real estate deal in Argentina, could you help out with that?

Totally legit...Make America Great Again!

Old 11-21-2016, 07:50 PM
Ancient

Quote:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...source=copyurl

Argentine President: Congrats on being elected President

Trump: Thanks, BTW, I'm having issues with a real estate deal in Argentina, could you help out with that?

Totally legit...Make America Great Again!
Trump issued a statement today, and while the TPP element is what is receiving most of the focus, there are some other issues to keep an eye on...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38059623

Quote:
In the video message, Mr Trump said his governing agenda would be based on "putting America first".
The six executive actions he would take on day one are:
issuing notice of withdrawing from TPP
I still think that this is a mistake, even though this was going to happen regardless of who was elected. Backing out will do nothing to protect American industries or jobs, but our involvement would have at least served as a counter-balance to Chinese hegemony in the East, and our withdrawal from this deal may well simply serve to undermine our influence in Asia, and to force those nations (including our immediate neighbors) more into China's sphere of influence.

Quote:
cancelling restrictions on US energy production
This probably at minimum means increasing coal production, which is a waste of time and investment, in addition to being environmentally foolish. It might be even a more dangerous indication though, as this likely also means opening up federal lands for fracking and various exploitations, clearing remaining hurdles on the completion of oil pipeline, and increasing offshore oil exploration. This likely also means undermining the EPA and restrictions on the ability of businesses and individuals to pollute so as to maximize profits.

Quote:
cutting regulations on businesses
Hardly a surprise, and probably will be coupled with the undermining of both worker and consumer protections.

Quote:
ordering a plan to combat cyber-attacks
This one is impossible to take seriously considering his close relationship with the Russians, and the growing camaraderie of the far right with Wikileaks. Hopefully this election has at least opened the eyes of the left fully concerning just what Julian Assange is.

Quote:
investigating visa abuses that undercut American workers
Still think that this one is just empty rhetoric, but time will tell.

Quote:
imposing a five-year ban on people leaving government to become lobbyists
This one is almost certainly unconstitutional, and unless done as an executive order (which would be immediately challenged in the courts), there is no chance that this would ever be passed by Congress. I suspect that this one is also just empty rhetoric, and nothing will ever come of this, but this one would be an interesting development if he actually attempted it.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

So...to increase coal production, is he going to ban cheap natural gas then? That's the reason coal is dying, not EPA regulations.

I wonder when he'll realize that his BS pandering lies aren't reality and you can't govern based on lies. There is nothing that will increase coal production right now...it'd be like trying to increase buggy whip production. Technology is killing the industry, not regulations.

Quote:
Still think that this one is just empty rhetoric, but time will tell.
Oh so he's going to cut down on the H1B program then?...yeah, sure he is. I'm sure all his rich buddies who make bank of them will be all over that.

On the lobbyist thing, I wonder how he is defining lobbyist...considering that by most definitions that would mean he has to fire half his current transition team. I almost bet that its pure window dressing to show how different he is...just like the "I'm not taking a salary" BS to save us money.

He wont take a salary but he plans on going back to Trump Tower every single weekend and his wife/kid will be staying there too. How many hundreds of millions will that cost us in tax dollars. But hey, he's saving us that salary he's refusing so he's a good guy, right?

Old 11-22-2016, 10:24 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...ch-npi/508379/

Of course Trump is too preoccupied with how "unfair" Saturday Night Live is, or a civil message from an acting cast that Trump thinks is "insulting".
Old 11-22-2016, 10:45 AM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...ch-npi/508379/

Of course Trump is too preoccupied with how "unfair" Saturday Night Live is, or a civil message from an acting cast that Trump thinks is "insulting".
His open flirtation KKK and Neo-Nazis is hardly new, and it has been getting a lot of attention, perhaps so much so that we often overlook more mundane signs of potentially immediate concern.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38064854

Quote:
Donald Trump will now meet New York Times executives, his spokeswoman says, hours after cancelling the face-to-face, complaining of "nasty" coverage.
The US president-elect had earlier accused the newspaper on Twitter of changing the terms of the meeting.
The apparent U-turn came a day after he berated media chiefs at Trump Tower for their "unfair" election coverage.
Quote:
Jonathan Mahler, a political correspondent for the New York Times, tweeted that it was the president-elect who had tried to change the rules of engagement.
He said Mr Trump had asked for the discussion to be private and off-the-record, but the daily had refused.
This isn't an isolated incident, and there are quite a few worrisome signs of his intent to limit media access, or at least to threaten to deny access unless the press agrees to tailor its message to his desires. He seems to want to browbeat the media into becoming something akin to what it is in Russia and Turkey, where all press is either state-run, or else destroyed by the state. Normally I would trust Congress or the Supreme Court to intervene and defend the freedom, and independence of the press, but a Republican controlled Congress? A Republican controlled Supreme Court? I don't trust them to protect anything besides the 2nd Amendment, corporate greed, and theocratic oppression.

Quote:
On Monday evening, he invited leading figures from the American TV networks for an off-the-record briefing at Trump Tower, where they were subjected to a tirade about election reporting.
The media executives and anchors - including NBC's Lester Holt, CNN's Wolf Blitzer and ABC's George Stephanopoulos - were apparently expecting to discuss coverage of his presidency.
Quote:
But instead Mr Trump reportedly labelled them "liars" and called journalists the "lowest form of humanity".
One attendee leaked the details to the New York Post, saying: "The meeting was a total disaster.
"The TV execs and anchors went in there thinking they would be discussing the access they would get to the Trump administration, but instead they got a Trump-style dressing down."
The New York Times reports that during his complaint about "dishonest" coverage Mr Trump singled out CNN president Jeffrey Zucker.
According to the Washington Post, Mr Trump also referred to NBC's Katy Tur and ABC's Martha Raddatz, without naming them.
But Ms Conway said the meeting was "very cordial".
Old 11-22-2016, 11:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
On the lobbyist thing, I wonder how he is defining lobbyist...considering that by most definitions that would mean he has to fire half his current transition team.
I suspect that he'll counter that by pointing out that he can't write ex post facto laws. Besides, they're not lobbying, they are just using their 1st Amendment rights of expressing their opinions. It is only the other side which needs to resort to lobbying, obviously.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
His open flirtation KKK and Neo-Nazis is hardly new, and it has been getting a lot of attention, perhaps so much so that we often overlook more mundane signs of potentially immediate concern.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38064854

This isn't an isolated incident, and there are quite a few worrisome signs of his intent to limit media access, or at least to threaten to deny access unless the press agrees to tailor its message to his desires. He seems to want to browbeat the media into becoming something akin to what it is in Russia and Turkey, where all press is either state-run, or else destroyed by the state. Normally I would trust Congress or the Supreme Court to intervene and defend the freedom, and independence of the press, but a Republican controlled Congress? A Republican controlled Supreme Court? I don't trust them to protect anything besides the 2nd Amendment, corporate greed, and theocratic oppression.
What an utter joke.

Good work idiots for electing this demagogue.

Closed Thread